Is the Fourier integral applicable to find b_n?

In summary, the identity given by \sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n e^{2\pi i E_{n}}= \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}a_n \delta(x-E_{n}) is correct, but the generalization to arbitrary coefficients is not true.
mhill
for every sequence of numbers a_n E_n is this identity correct ?

[tex] \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}a_n e^{2\pi i E_{n}}= \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}a_n \delta (x-E_{n}) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly it isn't (and I assume that you mean to have an x in the exponent on the LHS).

Perhaps you meant to integrate the RHS over the real line?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect I know who this poster is, and the same advice I've given repeatedly still applies: have you tried it for any examples? Eg a_i=0 for i=/=0 and a_0=1, E_0=0, then the LHS is 1 and the RHS is d(x) (d for delta)...

This is true

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x-k) [/tex]

but to generalize it with arbitrary coefficients (that are placed on both sides) is not a true equality.

rbj and matt were right only this

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x-k)
[/tex] (1)

is correct , however my question is if using Fourier analysis we could generalized to an identity

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_{n} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} b_{n}\delta(x-k)
[/tex]

where the a_n and b_n are related by some way , this is interesting regarding an article of Functional equation for Dirichlet series, using (1) the author was able to proof the functional equation for Riemann Zeta, my idea was to develop a functional equation for almost every dirichlet series to see where they have the 'poles'

If we have in the general case

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_{n} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = D A(x) [/tex]

Where A(x) is the partial sum of a_n and D is the derivative operator , in case A(x)=[x] we recover usual delta identity , then i believe we can calculate b_n by the Fourier integral

[tex] b_n = \int_{0}^{1} dx DA(x) e^{-2i\pi x} [/tex]

1. What is series identity?

Series identity refers to the unique characteristics and elements that define a particular series, such as a TV show, book series, or scientific series. It includes the overall theme, plot, characters, and other elements that make the series distinct from others.

2. Why is series identity important?

Series identity is important because it helps viewers or readers distinguish one series from another and creates a unique brand or image for the series. It also helps creators and producers maintain consistency and coherence within the series.

3. How is series identity developed?

Series identity is developed through careful planning and execution by the creators and producers. This involves defining the overall vision and theme of the series, creating memorable characters, and maintaining consistency in the plot and world-building.

4. Can series identity change over time?

Yes, series identity can change over time as the series progresses and evolves. This can be due to shifts in the plot, character development, or changes in the target audience. However, it is important to maintain key elements that make the series unique and recognizable.

5. How does series identity affect audience engagement?

Series identity plays a crucial role in audience engagement as it helps viewers or readers connect with the series and its characters. A strong series identity can create a loyal fan base and drive interest and excitement for future installments. On the other hand, a weak or inconsistent series identity can lead to disinterest and a decline in audience engagement.