Register to reply

Series identity

by mhill
Tags: identity, series
Share this thread:
mhill
Jun11-08, 08:01 AM
P: 193
for every sequence of numbers a_n E_n is this identity correct ?

[tex] \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}a_n e^{2\pi i E_{n}}= \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}a_n \delta (x-E_{n}) [/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
matt grime
Jun11-08, 08:05 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
Clearly it isn't (and I assume that you mean to have an x in the exponent on the LHS).
matt grime
Jun11-08, 09:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Perhaps you meant to integrate the RHS over the real line?

Defennder
Jun11-08, 10:37 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,616
Series identity

That looked a little familiar to me so I dug out my signals notes and found the following:

Here FT refers to fourier transform and FS fourier series. As for how "it can be shown", I have no idea.
matt grime
Jun11-08, 01:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I suspect I know who this poster is, and the same advice I've given repeatedly still applies: have you tried it for any examples? Eg a_i=0 for i=/=0 and a_0=1, E_0=0, then the LHS is 1 and the RHS is d(x) (d for delta)...
rbj
Jun11-08, 03:11 PM
P: 2,251
This is true

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x-k) [/tex]

but to generalize it with arbitrary coefficients (that are placed on both sides) is not a true equality.
mhill
Jun12-08, 02:49 AM
rbj and matt were right only this

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x-k)
[/tex] (1)

is correct , however my question is if using Fourier analysis we could generalized to an identity

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_{n} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} b_{n}\delta(x-k)
[/tex]

where the a_n and b_n are related by some way , this is interesting regarding an article of Functional equation for Dirichlet series, using (1) the author was able to proof the functional equation for Riemann Zeta, my idea was to develop a functional equation for almost every dirichlet series to see where they have the 'poles'
mhill
Jun12-08, 05:13 AM
If we have in the general case

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_{n} e^{i 2 \pi n x} = D A(x) [/tex]

Where A(x) is the partial sum of a_n and D is the derivative operator , in case A(x)=[x] we recover usual delta identity , then i believe we can calculate b_n by the Fourier integral

[tex] b_n = \int_{0}^{1} dx DA(x) e^{-2i\pi x} [/tex]

Register to reply