A Sequence in a Power Series

In summary: In general, the series:$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} A_n $$converges, if and only if the power series:$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} A_n x^n$$converges at ##x = 1##.
Leo Liu
TL;DR Summary
{##A_n##} is a sequence of positive numbers. ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n(x-1)^n## has a R of convergence ##R=\frac 3 2##. Does ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n## converge or diverge?
I tried to use the ratio test, but I am stuck on finding the range of the limit.
$$\because \left|x-1\right|<1.5=Radius$$
$$\therefore -0.5<x<2.5$$

$$\lim _{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{A_{n+1}(x-1)^{n+1}}{A_n(x-1)^n} \right|$$
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{A_{n+1} \left|x-1\right|}{A_n} <1$$
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{A_{n+1}}{A_n} \right|< \frac 1 {\left| x-1 \right|}$$

Then I plotted the graph of 1/|x-1| and I found that the limit of A_n+1/A_n could vary from 2/3 (convergent) to infinity (divergent), as shown by the image below. What should I do next?
1593692590251.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you take ##x = 2##?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
What happens if you take ##x = 2##?
No conclusion?

Leo Liu said:
No conclusion?
What does that mean? Is ##2## inside or outside the radius?

PeroK said:
What does that mean? Is ##2## inside or outside the radius?
Does this show the radius of convergence ##R'## of the series A_n is 2?

Leo Liu said:
It means we have to use another method to test the convergence of the series. 2 is in the radius R.

Eh?

Leo Liu said:
Summary:: {##A_n##} is a sequence of positive numbers. ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n(x-1)^n## has a R of convergence ##R=\frac 3 2##.

PeroK said:
Eh?
I think it is in the radius of convergence because ##-0.5<2<2.5##

Leo Liu said:
I think it is in the radius of convergence.
You're saying that you think ##2 < \frac 3 2##?

PeroK said:
No, but I am quite confused--we are talking about x, not ##\left| x-1 \right|##, right?

Likes PeroK
Leo Liu said:
No, but I am quite confused--we are talking about x, not ##\left| x-1 \right|##, right?
Yes, sorry, of course it's inside the radius of convergence. In any case, what does ##x = 2## tell you about ##A_n##?

Likes Leo Liu
PeroK said:
Can you please tell me what I should do next? This is not a homework question and I am doing it just for interest.

Leo Liu said:
Can you please tell me what I should do next? This is not a homework question and I am doing it just for interest.
I've actually told you: put ##x = 2##.

PeroK said:
Yes, sorry, of course it's inside the radius of convergence. In any case, what does ##x = 2## tell you about ##A_n##?
When ##x \geq 2 \: or \: x \leq 0##, the series converges.

Leo Liu said:
When ##x>2 \: or \: x<0##, the series converges.
And what is the series when ##x = 2##?

PeroK said:
And what is the series when ##x = 2##?
Converges at x=2?

Leo Liu said:
Converges at x=2?
Write down the sequence for ##x = 2##.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
PeroK said:
Write down the sequence for ##x = 2##.
$$\sum_{n=0}^ \infty{A_n}$$

Likes PeroK
Leo Liu said:
$$\sum_{n=0}^ \infty{A_n}$$
That's what you should have done after post #2.

Likes Leo Liu
PeroK said:
That's what you should have done after post #2.
Oh, thank you! So it is actually convergent because the limit is less than 1 if we sub in x=2!

Leo Liu said:
Oh, thank you! So it is actually convergent because the limit is less than 1 if we sub in x=2!
In general, the series:
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} A_n $$
converges, if and only if the power series:
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} A_n x^n$$
converges at ##x = 1##.

Those two properties are clearly equivalent.

Likes Leo Liu

1. What is a Sequence in a Power Series?

A Sequence in a Power Series is a mathematical concept that involves representing a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It is typically written in the form of a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... where an is a coefficient and x is the variable.

2. How is a Sequence in a Power Series different from a regular series?

A regular series has a finite number of terms, while a Sequence in a Power Series has an infinite number of terms. This allows for a more precise representation of functions, as it can capture the behavior of the function at every point in the domain.

3. What is the importance of a Sequence in a Power Series in mathematics?

A Sequence in a Power Series is important in mathematics as it allows for the approximation of complicated functions, making them easier to work with and analyze. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is a Sequence in a Power Series used in real-world applications?

A Sequence in a Power Series is used in real-world applications to model and predict the behavior of various phenomena, such as the growth of populations, the trajectory of a projectile, or the fluctuations of stock prices. It is also used in engineering to design and optimize systems.

5. What are some common techniques for finding the coefficients in a Sequence in a Power Series?

Some common techniques for finding the coefficients in a Sequence in a Power Series include using the Taylor series expansion, the Maclaurin series expansion, and the Binomial series expansion. These methods involve using derivatives and integrals to determine the coefficients.