Iteration of Euler's phi function

In summary, the Euler's totient function \varphi(n) eventually arrives at 1 after a certain number of iterations, denoted by h(n). There is a conjecture that the largest n for which h(n)=k is 2\times 3^{k-1}. Richard K. Guy describes perfect totient numbers as those n for which n = \varphi(n) + \varphi^{2}(n) + \varphi^{3}(n) + ... + 2 + 1, and states that all powers of 3 are perfect totient numbers. It is also conjectured that all primes > 2 in the set of the smallest numbers for which \varphi^{k}(n) =
huba
Iterating Euler's totient function [tex]\varphi(n)[/tex], it eventually arrives at 1. Let h(n) denote the least number of iterations to arrive at 1. For instance, h(18)=3, ie [tex]\varphi^{3}(18)=1[/tex]. There is a conjecture (or is there a proof?) that the largest n for which h(n)=k is [tex]2\times 3^{k-1}[/tex]. The only reference I found on the internet was a short note in a comment to Sloane's A007755 (the smallest n for which h(n)=k), saying that the maximum value is of that form.
Although I haven't found a proof, I think that I have at least a simple result, using the [tex]2\times 3^{k-1}[/tex] form. Richard K. Guy (2004), in "Unsolved Problems in Number Theory", p.149 (haven't read it, found it in Google Book Search) describes perfect totient numbers as those n for which [tex]n = \varphi(n) + \varphi^{2}(n) + \varphi^{3}(n) + ... + 2 + 1[/tex], and says that all powers of 3 are perfect totient numbers. I haven't seen the proof for all powers of 3 being perfect totient numbers, but I would reason this way:

It is easy to prove by induction that
[tex]\sum^{k-1}_{j=0}2\times 3^{j}+1=3^{k}[/tex].

As for all [tex]x\geq j, \varphi^{j}(2\times 3^{x}) = 2\times 3^{x-j}[/tex], and [tex]\varphi^{x+1}(2\times 3^{x}) = \varphi(2) = 1 [/tex],

[tex]\sum^{k+1}_{j=1}\varphi^{j}(2\times 3^{k})=3^{k}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The set of the smallest numbers n for which [tex]\varphi^{k}(n) = 1[/tex] is possibly more interesting. Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A007755" lists the first 34 such numbers, or 33 if starting with 2 (I left out 1) :
2, 3, 5, 11, 17, 41, 83, 137, 257, 641, ...
I will refer to the set of those integers as M.

It was conjectured (Shapiro, 1943) that all such numbers are prime, but then composite numbers were found.
According to Guy (2004), Catlin (1970) showed that if m is an odd element of M, then the factors of m are in M.
I propose the conjecture that all primes > 2 in M are either http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FermatPrime.html" or are of the form [tex]2^{t}\times m + 1 [/tex] with [tex]m \in M [/tex]. In other words, if prime [tex]p \in M [/tex] then either [tex]\varphi(p) = 2^{2^{s}}[/tex] or [tex]\varphi(p) = 2^{t}\times m[/tex] with [tex]m \in M [/tex], with t and s any positive integers.
Further, a finite number of phi-iterations on m will lead to a number with a factor which is a Fermat prime. For example, take m = 35209, a composite number with the prime factors 137 and 257 (257 is already a Fermat prime). [tex]\varphi(35209) = \varphi(137)\times \varphi(257) = 136 \times 256 = 2^{11}\times 17 = 34816 [/tex] which again has a Fermat prime, 17, as a prime factor.
I would also conjecture that if m is composite, then at least one of its prime factors is a Fermat prime. For example, the largest term in A007755 is 4295098369, which is [tex]65537^{2}[/tex].

I would appreciate any comments.

Just another example for the iteration leading to a Fermat prime:

[tex]\varphi(140417) = 140416 = 2^{7}\times1097[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(140416) = 2^{6}\times 1096 = 2^{9}\times 137 = 70144[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(70144) = 2^{8}\times 136 = 2^{11}\times 17 = 34816[/tex], and so

17, a Fermat prime, divides [tex]\varphi^{3}(140417)[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Euler's phi function?

The Euler's phi function, also known as the totient function, is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number n that are relatively prime to n. It is denoted by φ(n) or sometimes ϕ(n).

2. What is the significance of the Euler's phi function?

The Euler's phi function has many applications in number theory, cryptography, and algebra. It is used to solve problems in the fields of modular arithmetic, prime numbers, and primitive roots. It is also a crucial component in the RSA encryption algorithm.

3. How is the Euler's phi function iterated?

The Euler's phi function can be iterated by repeatedly applying the function to the result of the previous iteration. For example, if we start with a number n and apply the phi function to it, we get φ(n). Then, we apply the phi function to φ(n) and so on, until we reach a value that does not change.

4. What is the difference between iteration and composition of the Euler's phi function?

Iteration of the Euler's phi function refers to the repeated application of the function to the result of the previous iteration. On the other hand, composition of the Euler's phi function refers to the combination of the function with itself. In other words, composing the Euler's phi function with itself means applying the function to the result of the function, rather than the result of the previous iteration.

5. Can the Euler's phi function be iterated infinitely?

Yes, the Euler's phi function can be iterated infinitely, but the values will eventually start repeating. This is due to the fact that the Euler's phi function is a multiplicative function, meaning that the value of φ(n) is determined by the prime factorization of n. Therefore, for any given number n, the values of φ(n), φ(φ(n)), φ(φ(φ(n))), and so on, will eventually start repeating.