Register to reply

4-momentum in relativistic QM

by pmb_phy
Tags: 4momentum, relativistic
Share this thread:
pmb_phy
Jun30-08, 03:37 AM
P: 2,954
I've been wondering about relativistic quantum mechanics. Elsewhere I'm addressing some comments about this branch of physics but I have never studied it. Is the 4-momentum 4-vector defined in the same way in relativsitic QM or is there a difference? I'm wondering if the time component of 4-momentum is defined in the same way in relativistic QM as in classical relativity. Thanks.

Pete
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Hans de Vries
Jun30-08, 03:57 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,135
Quote Quote by pmb_phy View Post
I've been wondering about relativistic quantum mechanics. Elsewhere I'm addressing some comments about this branch of physics but I have never studied it. Is the 4-momentum 4-vector defined in the same way in relativsitic QM or is there a difference? I'm wondering if the time component of 4-momentum is defined in the same way in relativistic QM as in classical relativity. Thanks.

Pete
Yes, generally the metric is (+---), although Weinberg uses (-+++) as in (flat) GR.

In QFT the 4-momentum is typically associated with the phase change rates in the
time and space components corresponding to the plane wave eigenfunctions:

[tex]\psi(x)~=~e^{-iEt/\hbar + ipx/\hbar}[/tex]

Regards, Hans
Fredrik
Jun30-08, 03:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,277
It's defined as the [itex]P^\mu[/itex] that appears in the translation operator [itex]e^{-iP^\mu a_\mu}[/itex], where [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is the translation four-vector. This definition works in both relativistic and non-relativistic QM. (The best place to read about these things is chapter 2 of vol. 1 of Weinberg's QFT book).

In a relativistic quantum field theory, you can also construct the four-momentum operators expliclity from the Lagrangian, as the conserved quantities that Noether's theorem tells us must exist due to the invariance of the action under translations in space and time.

Register to reply