How is the 4-momentum 4-vector defined in relativistic QM?

In summary: This definition is equivalent to the first one given, but is often used in QFT because it is more closely tied to the underlying principles of the theory.In summary, the 4-momentum 4-vector is defined in a similar way in both relativistic quantum mechanics and classical relativity. It is typically associated with the phase change rates in time and space and can also be constructed from the Lagrangian in relativistic QFT. However, there may be some differences in the chosen metric and the explicit construction of the 4-momentum operators.
pmb_phy
I've been wondering about relativistic quantum mechanics. Elsewhere I'm addressing some comments about this branch of physics but I have never studied it. Is the 4-momentum 4-vector defined in the same way in relativsitic QM or is there a difference? I'm wondering if the time component of 4-momentum is defined in the same way in relativistic QM as in classical relativity. Thanks.

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
I've been wondering about relativistic quantum mechanics. Elsewhere I'm addressing some comments about this branch of physics but I have never studied it. Is the 4-momentum 4-vector defined in the same way in relativsitic QM or is there a difference? I'm wondering if the time component of 4-momentum is defined in the same way in relativistic QM as in classical relativity. Thanks.

Pete

Yes, generally the metric is (+---), although Weinberg uses (-+++) as in (flat) GR.

In QFT the 4-momentum is typically associated with the phase change rates in the
time and space components corresponding to the plane wave eigenfunctions:

[tex]\psi(x)~=~e^{-iEt/\hbar + ipx/\hbar}[/tex]Regards, Hans

Last edited:
It's defined as the [itex]P^\mu[/itex] that appears in the translation operator [itex]e^{-iP^\mu a_\mu}[/itex], where [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is the translation four-vector. This definition works in both relativistic and non-relativistic QM. (The best place to read about these things is chapter 2 of vol. 1 of Weinberg's QFT book).

In a relativistic quantum field theory, you can also construct the four-momentum operators expliclity from the Lagrangian, as the conserved quantities that Noether's theorem tells us must exist due to the invariance of the action under translations in space and time.

1. What is 4-momentum in relativistic QM?

4-momentum is a concept in relativistic quantum mechanics that describes the energy and momentum of a particle in four-dimensional spacetime. It is represented by a four-component vector with three components for momentum and one component for energy.

2. How is 4-momentum related to the uncertainty principle?

In relativistic quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle is extended to include the uncertainty in the energy and momentum of a particle. This means that the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. 4-momentum encapsulates this relationship by combining energy and momentum into one entity.

3. Can 4-momentum be used to describe particles with mass and particles with no mass?

Yes, 4-momentum can be used to describe both massive and massless particles. For massive particles, the energy component of 4-momentum is related to the particle's rest mass through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. For massless particles, such as photons, the energy component is related to the particle's frequency through the Planck-Einstein relation, E=hf.

4. How is 4-momentum conserved in relativistic QM?

In relativistic quantum mechanics, 4-momentum is conserved in the same way that traditional momentum is conserved in classical mechanics. This means that the total 4-momentum of a system before and after a interaction or decay remains the same. This conservation is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of particles in relativistic systems.

5. What are some practical applications of 4-momentum in relativistic QM?

4-momentum is a crucial concept in understanding particle interactions and decays, and is therefore used extensively in experimental particle physics. It is also used in the development of theories and models in relativistic quantum mechanics, such as the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.