Register to reply

Rolling ball

by Nuha99
Tags: ball, rolling
Share this thread:
Nuha99
Sep2-08, 05:19 AM
P: 15
Q: A ball is at rest on an inclined plane. It begins to roll down with an acceleration of 2 m/s^2. How long does it take the ball to roll 50 m?

This is my work:

find time using, s = ut + 1/2 a t^2

t = sqrt(2s/a)

Plug in the s = 50 and a = 2

Am I right?

Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
HallsofIvy
Sep2-08, 05:38 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,553
Where have you used the fact that this is a rolling ball and not a falling mass point? In particular, you have not taken into account the rotational kinetic energy.
Nuha99
Sep2-08, 09:42 AM
P: 15
Thanks for your reply.

A falling object accelerates with acceleration of gravity, g. Here the given acceleration, as I understand, is the acceleration of the center of mass (linear acceleration). Even though the ball is rolling, C.M is moving in a straight line along the incline so that we can use the equation of kinematics.

In particular, you have not taken into account the rotational kinetic energy.
Conservation of energy gives me an expression for the final velocity as a function of initial height of the ball above the ground, and will not allow me to find the time of travel.

LowlyPion
Sep2-08, 11:38 AM
HW Helper
P: 5,341
Rolling ball

Quote Quote by Nuha99 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

A falling object accelerates with acceleration of gravity, g. Here the given acceleration, as I understand, is the acceleration of the center of mass (linear acceleration). Even though the ball is rolling, C.M is moving in a straight line along the incline so that we can use the equation of kinematics.

Conservation of energy gives me an expression for the final velocity as a function of initial height of the ball above the ground, and will not allow me to find the time of travel.
That is correct. Your approach looks correct for this problem.
X = 1/2 a t2 in this case because you are given its constant acceleration.

Register to reply