Voltage across a capacitor can't change abruptly because

In summary: However, current would only flow for a finite time due to the resistance of the circuit and eventually the current would level off. This current would be the same as the original current, but it would have come out of nowhere and caused a lot of heat. In summary, current would need to be infinite for this to work.
Andrew123
current would need to be infinite for this. Why is this. Can anyone show the maths behind this? Cheers!

*EDIT* ok i just did some maths on a basic RC circuit. If t approaches zero then the current simply approaches -(Vi/R).. which isn't infinite. This is why i can't grasp this. I would love to see the theory behind why this is. TY

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]i_{c}(t)=C\frac{dv_{c}(t)}{dt}[/tex]

The rest is left as an exercise to the reader ;-)

HINT: a limit is involved.

Voltage can change instantaneously in a capacitor... But only if single charges are being applied to the plates (Single Electron Transport devices)--this is near the cutting edge of research.

Yeah limit t ---> 0 and I -----> infinity yah? however dv/dt = lim change in t --> 0 [change in V / change in t] so if we are already limiting change in t towards zero then how can we do this doubly so?

Andrew123 said:
Yeah limit t ---> 0 and I -----> infinity yah? however dv/dt = lim change in t --> 0 [change in V / change in t] so if we are already limiting change in t towards zero then how can we do this doubly so?

I don't understand what you mean by:
dv/dt = lim change in t --> 0

Take the limit as dv/dt goes to infinity (instantaneous voltage change).

but what sends dv/dt to infinity?

Andrew123 said:
but what sends dv/dt to infinity?

That's the definition of an instantaneous voltage change (finite change in voltage in 0 time). You might have rising or falling voltage (say, 0 to 5 V or 5 V to 0V), but really, the idea is the same (infinite current).

Sorry but still why does the current need to be infinite?

If you want the the voltage to change instantaneously, that means you want dV/dt to be as large as possible, approaching infinity, right? Remember that changing instantaneously means that on the V/t graph you want to have a vertical line at one point and not a smooth continuous one. Now, what is the gradient of a line which is very nearly vertical? What happens if it is vertical? Now what does dV/dt equal to?

Andrew123 said:
Sorry but still why does the current need to be infinite?

If [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] goes to infinity so must C (a constant) times this number. Since this quantity happens to be the current...

A capacitor with charge has energy. W = C*(V^2)/2. A change in voltage requires a change in energy which requires that work be done. If voltage changes instantly, then dw/dt = power is infinite. A source of infinite power does not exist (well, actually it does, but we are discussing science in the real world, and not theology).

Infinite power would result in infinite current for an instant as p = v*i.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and it is commonly used in electronic circuits to smooth out voltage fluctuations.

Why can't the voltage across a capacitor change abruptly?

This is because a capacitor's ability to store charge is dependent on the surface area of its plates and the distance between them. Therefore, any sudden change in voltage would require an instantaneous change in the amount of charge stored in the capacitor, which is physically impossible.

How does a capacitor maintain a steady voltage?

A capacitor maintains a steady voltage by resisting changes in voltage across its plates. When there is a sudden change in the circuit, the capacitor releases or absorbs charge to keep the voltage across it constant. This allows the capacitor to act as a stabilizer for the circuit.

What happens if the voltage across a capacitor changes too quickly?

If the voltage across a capacitor changes too quickly, it can lead to a phenomenon known as dielectric breakdown. This is when the insulating material between the plates of the capacitor breaks down and allows charge to flow through, potentially damaging the capacitor and other components in the circuit.

How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its ability to resist changes in voltage?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to its ability to resist changes in voltage. A higher capacitance means a larger charge storage capacity, which allows the capacitor to release or absorb more charge to maintain a steady voltage across its plates.