What kind of watch should I get?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, Omega is a good choice if you are looking for something simple and easy to read, while Breitling is a good choice if you are looking for something that is status symbol or something to show off. Girls have expensive purses, rings, necklaces, earings, etc. The only accessory a man has that is not tacky is a good watch. Well-made watches can also be a family heirloom.
gravenewworld
Omega
Breitling
Tag

Which one?

I am spoiling myself early this year. I will get a decent end of year bonus this year so it won't break my bank. Also, I don't buy nice watches to show off, I just like nice watches. They can complete a nice outfit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't go overboard. Buy a nice military-style Luminox. I suggest a captain's field watch. Incredibly accurate, understated style-wise, and a real value.

Well, you have to decide what you want the watch to do.

Are you looking for something to actually tell time? Easy to read, something simple? A plain, analog Swiss Army Knife watch...

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2526/swissnu8.jpg

A status symbol? There are better people here than me to make that call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girls have expensive purses, rings, necklaces, earings, etc. The only accessory a man has that is not tacky is a good watch. I like watches. A well made watch can also become a family heirloom. IMO I don't consider a watch to be a status symbol or something to show off. People just like different things. I want something well made that can last 50-60 years.

I just got myself a watch, its a skagen from denmark

http://www.jewelry-weblog.com/50226711/skagen-3.jpg

It was only 120 bucks and is paper thin like a swatch. It's a nice cheap everyday watch. The band is titanium.

I have a broken one, it's incredably accurate - twice a day!

My vote, a nice Victorinox (the swiss army knife people) stainless steel one for $200, lasted 15years so far.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Girls have expensive purses, rings, necklaces, earings, etc. The only accessory a man has that is not tacky is a good watch. I like watches. A well made watch can also become a family heirloom. IMO I don't consider a watch to be a status symbol or something to show off. People just like different things. I want something well made that can last 50-60 years.

Pretty much most watches will last a long time now because they are not mechanical. Some are battery with some gears in them, but they are still pretty good. For the most part, a good watch was expensive because it lasted a long time and held (somewhat) accurate time. Now you can buy a ten dollar timex from Target and will hold better time than a 20k rolex (literally). So, a good mechanical watch is purely to spend money because you just enjoy a nice watch. So somewhere inbetween a cheap timex and an expensive roled you can get a nice quality watch that has form/fit/function and style. The more expensive watches tend to use more expensive material, but the really expensive watches are expensive because of (i) the name and (ii) its a good mechanical watch (rolex).

I got a Citizen Eco-Drive watch for my ten year anniversary at work. It's cool in that it is powered by light and it charges right through the face. It keeps good time and never needs a battery. They come in various price ranges around $150-300.

http://www.nextdaywatches.com/series/Eco-Drive/citizen-eco-drive-watches.html?gclid=CIWTmaGK8JUCFQuSGgodNEM0eQ"

The watches he listed can easily run in the 5k range.

If I were too choose one out of the three brands I'd choose a Breitling (personal taste). Which one you would want to get depends on when you want to wear it and what you want to wear it with.

I don't understand why men like watches, but I get it. Women have jewelry, and a watch is kind of like a man's jewelry, something to spoil yourself with, and something that can come with a bit of prestige.

Also, I have a Luminox. Still a college student.

Last edited:
Surely the standard physicsforums watch is this http://www.pocketcalculatorshow.com/graphics/calcwatch7.jpg

(Just found my old one with buttons worn off in a tool box)

I got my watch from Wal-Mart for like $30 at most. I don't quite remember. Works for me.

I wear a ring in the other hand too. And I wear a necklace, which changes upon season and clothing. :)

Get a Casio CA53W1 calculator watch. It's the only watch worth wearing, I think. You can grab them for around 10USD on Amazon. If you must have 'nice' then but a separate band from a company that specializes in them. You could probably even have a custom band made for a reasonable price.

I got a Citizen Eco-Drive watch for my ten year anniversary at work. It's cool in that it is powered by light and it charges right through the face. It keeps good time and never needs a battery. They come in various price ranges around $150-300.

Was just about to say the same. I am the proud owner of an eco-drive. Should theoretically, last for as long as I live. Solar powered, water resistant to 10 bar and has a sapphire crystal (pretty much scratch proof) cover glass. Only thing that wears is the stainless steel case and strap, but you can get titanium ones too, for a little extra, if you want.

I'm crazy about cool watches. It's a strange obsession, I'm always checking out the latest and greatest and they give me a thrill. No idea why. My grandfather used to fix watches and clocks, maybe it's genetic :wink:

I have an issue with my skin breaking out in a rash when it is in prolonged contact with metal. I always have to get a cheesy looking diver's watch band (They cover the back of the watch) to put on my watches. Does anyone know of a decent watch that doesn't have a metal back? Even plastic watches always seem to have metal on the back.

I used to carry a pocket watch but they are expensive and need maintenance. The watch repairmen I spoke to about my last one said that it probably stopped due to pocket lint collecting inside the case. How it got in there I have no idea and it would have cost about the same as a new watch to get it cleaned out. It's sad because I love pocket watches.

Currently I just use my phone to check the time but its not very convenient compared to a wrist watch.

A fashion question.

I would say the cheapest and most comfortable you can get.

I don't see any point in paying more than £15 for a watch.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have an issue with my skin breaking out in a rash when it is in prolonged contact with metal. I always have to get a cheesy looking diver's watch band (They cover the back of the watch) to put on my watches. Does anyone know of a decent watch that doesn't have a metal back? Even plastic watches always seem to have metal on the back.

I used to carry a pocket watch but they are expensive and need maintenance. The watch repairmen I spoke to about my last one said that it probably stopped due to pocket lint collecting inside the case. How it got in there I have no idea and it would have cost about the same as a new watch to get it cleaned out. It's sad because I love pocket watches.

Currently I just use my phone to check the time but its not very convenient compared to a wrist watch.

I'm not sure, but I think it is the nickel content of the metal that some people are allergic too, or that causes a rash. That is why surgical steel is different to the normal everyday stuff and why cheap earrings will make your girlfriend's/wife's ears go red and puffy, but pure silver/gold/platinum etc. won't have that reaction (a good reason to not buy her fakeys or rather a nice pair of undies (less expensive than platinum and beneficial to you too!) for the next bday/christmas/anniversary. I'm not sure, but do watches with titanium straps also have titanium cases? You may just be sensitive to the stell they use in cheaper watches, maybe you should also spoil yourslef with a silver/gold/platinum/titanium watch... :wink:

sorry about the atrocious spelling in the above post, just got back to work and an azerty keyboard after a week on my more natural qwerty.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to go with a Girard-Perregaux Opera One. I had mine for just under a year when I dropped it and it looked like I got a scratch on the inside band. I was in a foul mood after that for a whole day. Then I remembered that I was thinking about replacing it after a year anyway. I bought a new one for $560,000 and then I found this web site, http://www.thewatchery.com/Girard-Perregaux-Watch-11793.htm" . Free shipping too, boy is my face red. And besides, it wasn't a scratch on the old watch, just a smudge. I had my man wipe it off and now it is good as new. I tossed it in a drawer somewhere I think. I'll let you have it if I can find it.

from my personal experience, i suggest titanium with Sapphire-quartz glass.
don't go for a tag-huer under $1000, because that's where all their good stuff starts and don't go for a mechanical drive if you are looking for something under $350. quartz in my opinion, is the best method for time keeping if you don't want a high class rolex/tag/pulsar etc...
TheStatutoryApe: try the better Caterpillar (yes, wheel loader Caterpillar) watches. a bit chunky, but very good materials and the ones with leather straps come with a cover for the back of the case.
Pumblechook : watches become a sort of hobby/obsession. like mobile phones, VGAs, and particle accelerators. it's just enjoyable to see all the tech and thinking that goes into these things, and how ingenious people can get. it isn't really all about the bling, most of the time ( I'm looking at you, CERN...).

redargon said:
Was just about to say the same. I am the proud owner of an eco-drive. Should theoretically, last for as long as I live. Solar powered, water resistant to 10 bar and has a sapphire crystal (pretty much scratch proof) cover glass. Only thing that wears is the stainless steel case and strap, but you can get titanium ones too, for a little extra, if you want.

I'm crazy about cool watches. It's a strange obsession, I'm always checking out the latest and greatest and they give me a thrill. No idea why. My grandfather used to fix watches and clocks, maybe it's genetic :wink:

Same with me. My grandfather fixed watches and clocks too. He taught me a little bit about it and how to appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making a fine time peice. Digital watches are out of the question.

That said. There is no way I am going to spend 5 gs on a watch. I don't need gold, silver, platinum, palladium, titanium etc. metal in the watch and I don't need or want any diamonds. Good stainless steel is fine. I just have a small obession with nice watches. I'm looking to spend more like $800-2000

My new watch:

http://northatlantictime.com/catalog/images/25175000.jpg I like it because it is nice and simple, not too much stuff going on on the face. I was also able to bargain with the jeweler and got 40% off.

I decided to go with an omega. After doing some research omega has a much longer history of making finely crafted time pieces. Many watch buffs also compared omegas to rolexes a lot of times on the websites I was reading. Omegas were also the first watch in space. The more I read about tags, the more I read about how they are just a gimmicky brand that college kids and recent grads are attracted to. Breitlings also couldn't compare to the quality of craftsmanship that goes into an omega.

gravenewworld said:
My new watch:

http://northatlantictime.com/catalog/images/25175000.jpg

I like it because it is nice and simple, not too much stuff going on on the face. I was also able to bargain with the jeweler and got 40% off.

I decided to go with an omega. After doing some research omega has a much longer history of making finely crafted time pieces. Many watch buffs also compared omegas to rolexes a lot of times on the websites I was reading. Omegas were also the first watch in space. The more I read about tags, the more I read about how they are just a gimmicky brand that college kids and recent grads are attracted to. Breitlings also couldn't compare to the quality of craftsmanship that goes into an omega.

It reminds me of a rolex Air-King. I like it. Simple, elegant. Good pick!

They designed your watch after this one:
http://www.atlantiswatches.com/productimages/00017.jpg

Pretty much all watches steal rolex design.

I've got a humble movado watch similar to this one, and I like it.

mvado.gif

But you really can't go wrong with a calculator watch:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/calcwatch5.jpg

Topher925 said:
But you really can't go wrong with a calculator watch:

unless you buy one.

tribdog said:
unless you buy one.

Let me tell you something tribdog, those calculator watches are BABE magnets! Nothing turns a woman on more than seeing a guy sporting an awesome yet practical accessory such as a calculator watch.

gravenewworld said:
I'm looking to spend more like $800-2000
You'll never find a Britling or Omega for that money. You're looking at 5 large, easy.

FredGarvin said:
You'll never find a Britling or Omega for that money. You're looking at 5 large, easy.

?

I just bought an omega for $2000 minus 40% off.

They had plenty of omegas for $2000 and under.

I didn't really look at how much the Breitlings were though. When you buy an omega you are paying all for craftsmanship. My watch has no diamonds or precious metal in it, it is all just stainless steel. When you buy a lot of watches like a Tag, Breitling, or Cartier you are paying a lot of money for things like diamonds, gold, etc. not simply all towards a well crafted watch.

gravenewworld said:
I just bought an omega for $2000 minus 40% off.
I didn't really look at how much the Breitlings were though.
Google 'omega watch' brought up a seamaster for $1462 But they weren't in stock. When I don't have them in stock, I sell them for $1461, but the retail price is $1950. I found Britlings for $1675 on sale too. I saw a wide choice of both brands with retail prices under $2500.

jimmysnyder said:
Google 'omega watch' brought up a seamaster for $1462 But they weren't in stock. When I don't have them in stock, I sell them for $1461, but the retail price is $1950. I found Britlings for $1675 on sale too. I saw a wide choice of both brands with retail prices under $2500.

I think a lot of jewelers are giving ridiculous discounts right now on a lot of items because they want to move inventory, and with the economy the way it is right now, many people aren't making big purchases like jewelry.

Heheh this watch only really cost me $100. I just won $1100 from my amazing fantasy baseball team.

You could have been a real geek and gotten http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/72bb/".

gravenewworld said:
?
I didn't really look at how much the Breitlings were though. When you buy an omega you are paying all for craftsmanship. My watch has no diamonds or precious metal in it, it is all just stainless steel. When you buy a lot of watches like a Tag, Breitling, or Cartier you are paying a lot of money for things like diamonds, gold, etc. not simply all towards a well crafted watch.

Congratulations on your new purchase and on your impressive fantasy baseball team (this means that you still have extra cash with your bonus to buy something else cool :wink:)

Can you actually tell the difference between the craftsmanship of an Omega or a Breitling? I'm not sure I understand your definition of craftsmanship and how it makes a better time piece. Is it more accurate? Is the build more in tolerance? Does it last longer? Is it hand made or machine made? I thought most of those watches were expensive because of the name. Like nike sports shoes and no-name brands that all made in the same sweat shop, but with different labelling. It's obviously not a difference in materials, as you said it is just stainless steel, or is it a higher grade of stainless steel? Just out of interest, so that maybe I take this into consideration the next time I fork out cash for a watch.

redargon said:
Congratulations on your new purchase and on your impressive fantasy baseball team (this means that you still have extra cash with your bonus to buy something else cool :wink:)

Can you actually tell the difference between the craftsmanship of an Omega or a Breitling? I'm not sure I understand your definition of craftsmanship and how it makes a better time piece. Is it more accurate? Is the build more in tolerance? Does it last longer? Is it hand made or machine made? I thought most of those watches were expensive because of the name. Like nike sports shoes and no-name brands that all made in the same sweat shop, but with different labelling. It's obviously not a difference in materials, as you said it is just stainless steel, or is it a higher grade of stainless steel? Just out of interest, so that maybe I take this into consideration the next time I fork out cash for a watch.

Just google Omega vs. Breitling or Omega vs. TAG and you will find forums of watch buffs who know way way more about timepeices than I do. The majority of them seem to always prefer an omega over almost any other brand. From what I gathered, you are paying a lot of money for name when it comes to brands like TAG. Many of the people on those forums say they have an omega 20, 30, 40 years old with hardly any problems and might have only lost -5 or +5 seconds in accuracy over that entire time.

Omega has a long long long history of making good watches. THey also invented the coaxial escapement which is supposed to be an impressive achievement.

From wiki:

In 1999, with the help of Calibre 2500[3], Omega made history by introducing the first mass-produced watch incorporating the co-axial escapement — invented by English watchmaker George Daniels. Considered by many[4] to be one of the more significant horological advances since the invention of the lever escapement, the co-axial escapement functions with virtually no lubrication, thereby eliminating one of the shortcomings of the traditional lever escapement. Through using radial friction instead of sliding friction at the impulse surfaces the co-axial escapement significantly reduces friction, theoretically resulting in longer service intervals and greater accuracy over time[5].

On January 24, 2007 Omega unveiled its new Calibres 8500[6] and 8501, two co-axial (25,200 bph) movements created exclusively from inception by Omega.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_SA

Hey if NASA trusts omega, I have a feeling they make good stuff.

Again just google Omega vs. TAG and Omega vs. Breitling and read some of the posts by watch buffs.

Those clunkers aren't fit to be called timepieces. Get a real watch. I have a Casio G-shock Wave Ceptor Tough Solar. That's a watch. I always know what time it is.

gravenewworld said:

Passion has no price of course, but for $2000, you can buy 50 $40,- watches. If you keep each one a year, that keeps you busy for 50 years. It's my policy. I used to have an expensive Citizen dive watch, until I lost it. Now I wear ~ $50 - $100 watches, and the slightest problem I have (like the battery running out), I buy a new one. Done in 10 minutes, no hassle, no regrets. It indicates time just as well.

I was in the mall the other day and there was a display of watches. I can't remember which watch it was, but the sign was calling it the most accurate watch in the world. Something about it sets itself. I swear I'm telling the truth, not a single one of the five on display showed the same time. I would have thought that the most accurate watch in the world which sets itself automatically would agree with another of its brothers. When I pointed out the different times I could not get the salesperson to understand that if watch A=correct time and watch B=correct time then watch A should equal watch B. All I got was a sales pitch.