Finding mass based on amu and % abundance

by chemstudent
Tags: abundance, based, mass
Share this thread:
chemstudent
Sep24-08, 07:27 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Oxygen has 3 isotopes. Oxygen-16 has the amu of 15.995 and its natural percent abundance is 99.759. Oxygen-17 has a mass of 16.995 amu and its natural percent abundance is 0.037. Oxygen-18 has a mass of 17.999 amu and its natural percent abundance is 0.204. What is the average atomic mass of oxygen?

2. Relevant equations

I think I forgot these...

3. The attempt at a solution

I couldn't remember what the process is supposed to look like to figure this sort of problem out, so I tried to multiply the mass by the percent abundance, but the answers made very little sense. If somebody could help me figure out where I messed up, PLEASE RESPOND!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
symbolipoint
Sep24-08, 08:00 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,841
The average atomic mass of an element is much like a simple mixture problem that you learn in first year Algebra such that you can resort directly to percentage contributions formula.

AverageAMU = 0.99759*16 + 0.00037*17 + 0.00204*18
chemstudent
Sep24-08, 09:19 PM
P: 2
Thank you so much!

Register to reply