Finding mass based on amu and % abundance

In summary, to find the average atomic mass of oxygen, we can use the percentage contributions formula and multiply each isotope's mass by its percent abundance. This results in an average atomic mass of 15.999 amu.
chemstudent

Homework Statement

Oxygen has 3 isotopes. Oxygen-16 has the amu of 15.995 and its natural percent abundance is 99.759. Oxygen-17 has a mass of 16.995 amu and its natural percent abundance is 0.037. Oxygen-18 has a mass of 17.999 amu and its natural percent abundance is 0.204. What is the average atomic mass of oxygen?

Homework Equations

I think I forgot these...

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't remember what the process is supposed to look like to figure this sort of problem out, so I tried to multiply the mass by the percent abundance, but the answers made very little sense. If somebody could help me figure out where I messed up, PLEASE RESPOND!

Physics news on Phys.org
The average atomic mass of an element is much like a simple mixture problem that you learn in first year Algebra such that you can resort directly to percentage contributions formula.

AverageAMU = 0.99759*16 + 0.00037*17 + 0.00204*18

Thank you so much!

What is mass based on amu and % abundance?

Mass based on amu (atomic mass unit) and % abundance is a way to calculate the average mass of an element based on the natural abundance of its isotopes. Isotopes are atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons, resulting in different atomic masses.

Why is it important to find mass based on amu and % abundance?

It is important to find mass based on amu and % abundance because it allows scientists to accurately determine the atomic mass of an element. This information is crucial in understanding the chemical and physical properties of elements, as well as their reactions and interactions with other substances.

How do you calculate mass based on amu and % abundance?

To calculate mass based on amu and % abundance, you need to multiply the atomic mass of each isotope by its natural abundance (expressed as a decimal), and then add all of these values together. The resulting sum is the average atomic mass of the element.

What is the unit of measurement for mass based on amu and % abundance?

The unit of measurement for mass based on amu and % abundance is atomic mass unit (amu). This is a unit of mass used to express the relative masses of atoms and molecules, with one amu equal to 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

Are there any limitations to using mass based on amu and % abundance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using mass based on amu and % abundance. This method assumes that the isotopes of an element are evenly distributed in nature, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account the small variations in atomic mass due to nuclear binding energy. Therefore, the calculated average atomic mass may differ slightly from the actual value.