Hermitian vs. self-adjoint operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Hermitian and self-adjoint operators, with the main distinction being that all Hermitian operators are self-adjoint but not all self-adjoint operators are Hermitian. The conversation also mentions the definitions of Hermitian, symmetric, and self-adjoint operators, and how they are used in different contexts. The concept of unbounded operators is also brought up, along with their relevance in physics and the concept of canonical commutation relations. The conversation ends with a reference to a physics forum thread and a playful exchange between the participants.
Heirot
Hello,

what's the difference between Hermitian and self-adjoint operators? Our professor in Group Theory made a comment once that the two are very similar, but with a subtle distinction (which, of course, he failed to mention :smile: )

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops... I found the answer. Sorry :redface:

Well, what's this subtle distinction?

Just make sure you're aware that it's a matter of convention. Most people use the two words to mean the same thing.

morphism said:
Most people use the two words to mean the same thing.

While this is true for bounded operators, all the books I have checked on my shelf make a distinction for unbounded operators. According to the books that I have checked, a Hermitian operator is a bounded self-adjoint operator, i.e., all Hermitian operators are self-adjoint, but not all self-adjoint operators are Hermitian.

George Jones said:
While this is true for bounded operators, all the books I have checked on my shelf make a distinction for unbounded operators. According to the books that I have checked, a Hermitian operator is a bounded self-adjoint operator, i.e., all Hermitian operators are self-adjoint, but not all self-adjoint operators are Hermitian.

Is this an example of the difference you are talking about, or is it yet another difference?
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BerryConjecture.html:"...physicists define this operator to be Hermitian, mathematicians do not."

atyy said:
Is this an example of the difference you are talking about, or is it yet another difference?
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BerryConjecture.html:"...physicists define this operator to be Hermitian, mathematicians do not."

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a densely defined linear operator on a Hilbert space. One of the defining properties, *, for all cases is

[tex]\left<Ax,y\right> = \left<x,Ay\right>, \ *[/tex]

where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are elements of the Hilbert space.

The text that was used for the functional analysis course that I took as a student makes the following definitions:

[itex]A[/itex] is Hermitian if [itex]A[/itex] is bounded and * is true for every [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in the Hilbert space;

[itex]A[/itex] is symmetric if * holds for for every [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in the domain of [itex]A[/itex];

[itex]A[/itex] is self-adjoint if [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric and the domain of [itex]A[/itex] equals the domain of [itex]A^\dagger[/itex].

According to these defintions, every Hermitian operator is and self-adjoint, but not all self-adjoint operators are Hemitian. Some books leave off the first definition and call symmetric operators Hermitian. Then, every self-adjoint operator is Hermitian, but not all Hermitian operators are self-adjoint.
MathWorld said:
Note that [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric but might have nontrivial deficiency indices, so while physicists define this operator to be Hermitian, mathematicians do not.

A symmetric (or Hemitian, depending on the terminology used) operator is self-adjoint iff it has trivial deficiency indices. Some physicists and physics references do not distinguish between the above defintions, and use the terms Hermitian and self-adjoint interchangeably to refer to all cases.

If [itex]A[/itex] is unbounded, then the Hilbert space is necessarily infinite-dimensional, and the domain of [itex]A[/itex] need not be all of the Hilbert space. If this is the case and if [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric, then the domain of [itex]A[/itex] is a subset of the domain of [itex]A^\dagger[/itex], which I have not defined.

In physics, the canonical commutation relation is important. If self-adjoint operators [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] satisfy such a relation, then it is easy to show that at least one of the operators must be unbounded. Suppose it is [itex]A[/itex]. The Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem states any linear operator that satisfies * for all elements of the Hilbert space must bounded. Since [itex]A[/itex] is self-adjoint and unbounded, the domain of physical observable [itex]A[/itex] cannot be all of Hilbert space!

For one consequence of these concepts, see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122063&highlight=dirac.

Last edited:
I know, George you have to be the most interesting person i know, gosh gosh

"what are you going to do today napoleon?"
"whatever the frick i want to do gosh! gosh"

1. What is the difference between a Hermitian operator and a self-adjoint operator?

A Hermitian operator is a linear operator on a complex vector space that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the operator and its adjoint are the same. A self-adjoint operator, on the other hand, is a linear operator on a complex vector space that is equal to its own transpose. This means that the operator and its adjoint differ only by a complex factor. Essentially, a self-adjoint operator is a special case of a Hermitian operator.

2. Are all Hermitian operators self-adjoint?

Yes, all Hermitian operators are self-adjoint. This is because a Hermitian operator is equal to its own conjugate transpose, and a self-adjoint operator is equal to its own transpose. Since these two operations are equivalent for complex numbers, a Hermitian operator must also be equal to its own transpose, making it self-adjoint.

3. Can a non-square matrix be Hermitian or self-adjoint?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be Hermitian or self-adjoint. In order for a matrix to be Hermitian, it must be square (have the same number of rows and columns) and its conjugate transpose must be equal to itself. Similarly, for a matrix to be self-adjoint, it must be square and its transpose must be equal to itself. Non-square matrices do not have a transpose or conjugate transpose, so they cannot satisfy these conditions and thus cannot be Hermitian or self-adjoint.

4. What are the properties of Hermitian and self-adjoint operators?

Some important properties of Hermitian and self-adjoint operators include:

• They have real eigenvalues.
  • Their eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal.
  • They are diagonalizable.
  • They have a complete set of orthogonal eigenvectors.
  • Their eigenvalues are bounded.

5. What are some common applications of Hermitian and self-adjoint operators?

Hermitian and self-adjoint operators are widely used in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of quantum systems and their properties. They are also used in linear algebra, functional analysis, and other areas of mathematics. In physics, they are used to model physical systems and describe their behavior. Additionally, Hermitian and self-adjoint operators have applications in signal processing, control theory, and other engineering fields.