Pick the statement which correctly describes the acceleration

• Thread starter I_LuV_FiZiX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: Good luck with your studies!In summary, the correct acceleration values for the objects described are A=0 m/s2, B=9.8 m/s2 down, E=9.8 m/s2 down, B=9.8 m/s2 down, B=9.8 m/s2 down, and D=9.8 m/s2 up. The key factors to consider when determining the acceleration are the forces acting on the object and whether the velocity is changing in the given situation.
I_LuV_FiZiX
Pick the statement which correctly describes the acceleration, a, of the objects described below (neglecting air resistance). Select from A: a=0 m/s2, B: a=9.8 m/s2 down, C: a=9.8 m/s2 up, D: a > 9.8 m/s2 down, E: a < 9.8 m/s2 down, F: a > 9.8 m/s2 up, G: a < 9.8 m/s2 up, H: Not enough information E.g., if the first answer is A and the rest C, enter ACCCCC.
1) An elevator moving upward at constant speed
2) Just after a bullet is shot downward from a gun
3) An elevator starting on its descent
4) Just after release of an object which is thrown upward
5) At the top of the path of an object thrown upward
6) While a ball is in a person's hand during a downward throw

I am very new to this, so sorry if I am too vague. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Our policy is that you need to show an attempt at solving the problem before getting help.

LOLZZZZZ OOPZZZ. Okay well, I have a feeling I may be overthinking this way too much. I thought it was ADBFBD, but I was told this is incorrect. I am unsure of 3) and 4), and this could be where I am wrong

I_LuV_FiZiX said:
LOLZZZZZ OOPZZZ. Okay well, I have a feeling I may be overthinking this way too much. I thought it was ADBFBD, but I was told this is incorrect. I am unsure of 3) and 4), and this could be where I am wrong
If (3) a=g, the el would be in free fall. Wouldn't want to be on that lift. In (4), the problem is looking for the acceleration after it leaves the thrower's hands.

Okay so what exactly are you suggesting? I have 2 tries left and I really need to get this right. Perhaps one of the other four is wrong

I agree with #'s 1, 5, & 6. So think again about 2, 3, 4.

Two things to think about for each case:

1. What are the forces acting on the object? We know that gravity causes an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2; are there additional forces present that make the acceleration different?

2. Is the velocity changing for the situation described? If so, how (faster/slower, up/down)?

Thank you so much for your help. The answer was ABEBBD. Those two pieces of advice you gave in the last post were a great help. Thanks again, sorry for any inconveniences with my posts.

You're welcome! No inconvenience, that's what this forum is all about.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is the measure of how much an object's velocity is changing. Velocity includes a direction component, while acceleration does not.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

5. What factors can cause acceleration?

Acceleration can be caused by a change in an object's speed, direction, or both. It can also be caused by a force acting on the object, such as gravity, friction, or a push or pull from another object.