by Monique
Tags: alzheimer, diabetes, increased, linked, risk
Monique
May18-04, 10:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
A study was published last Monday in the May issue of Archives of Neurology, as MSNBC reports:

Diabetes might significantly increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s, a study of 824 nuns, priests and Catholic brothers found, bolstering the evidence linking the two diseases.

The researchers calculated that diabetics faced a 65 percent increased risk of developing the mind-robbing disease.
.. that is major .. if it is really true it brings another dimension to the greying population, even in western Europe diabetes is starting to have the same proportions as in the US..
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
Moonbear
May18-04, 09:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I haven't had a chance to read the article yet (abstract deadline tomorrow for a meeting the whole lab goes to has me preoccupied during my usual reading time). Did they say if it mattered whether it was type I or II diabetes? And does it matter how well controlled the disease was? In other words, some people get diagnosed with diabetes and immediately start following their doctors' advice and watch their diet, take their insulin, monitor their blood sugar carefully, etc. Others just don't watch their diet, monitor blood sugar as carefully, etc. I wonder if there is a greater risk for someone who isn't keeping their blood sugar under control. Just wondering if it's directly related to the glucose levels or to something else related to diabetes (such as the diet that exacerbated the diabetic condition).

Register to reply