Register to reply

2^x derivitive

by hackensack
Tags: derivitive
Share this thread:
hackensack
May19-04, 04:10 PM
P: 2
I need to find the derivitive of y=2^x using the definition of derivitive.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Hurkyl
May19-04, 04:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
What have you done so far? What does the definition of derivative say?
HallsofIvy
May21-04, 05:28 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
This was also posted in the calculus section and there are about 10 replies there.

mathwonk
Sep21-04, 08:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
2^x derivitive

I doubt this is a suitable problem for a novice. even showing convergence is tough. i will look at the other posted answers. there is a good reason people start from the integral definition of ln(x) to derive this result.
HallsofIvy
Sep21-04, 09:17 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
If f(x)= ax, the f(x+h)= aa+x= axah so
f(a+ h)- f(a)= ax(ah- 1).

The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2).

Showing that that limit exists is sufficiently non-trivial that many people (myself included), as mathwonk said, prefer to define ln(x) as the integral, from 1 to x of (1/t)dt. From that, it is possible to prove all properties of ln(x) including (trivially) that the derivative is 1/x. Defining ex as the inverse function of ln(x) leads to all the properties of ex (including the fact that it is some number to a power!), in particular that its derivative is ex itself and, from that, that the derivative of ax is (ln a) ax.
quantitative
Oct15-04, 07:23 AM
P: 3
dunno if i'm missing the point here but...

write
y=2^x
as
y=exp(x.ln2)
=>
y'=ln2.exp(x.ln2)
cepheid
Oct16-04, 02:53 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
No, you did exactly what HallsofIvy was advocating, he was just pointing out that the question asked for it to be solved using the definition of a derivative, which makes things much harder. Easier to approach things from the other way, starting by defining the integral of 1/x.
brout
Oct29-04, 12:11 PM
P: 5
"The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2)."

tell me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't seems so hard to determine this limit..
(a^h-1)/h = (exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h
= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h h->0
= ln(a) + o(ln(a))
so lim (a^h-1)/h = ln(a) .......
HallsofIvy
Oct29-04, 01:32 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by brout
"The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2)."

tell me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't seems so hard to determine this limit..
(a^h-1)/h = (exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h
= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h h->0
= ln(a) + o(ln(a))
so lim (a^h-1)/h = ln(a) .......
Yes, assuming that you know "(exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h " its easy to do it. Proving what you assumed is the hard part!

Register to reply