Symmetry factors for Feynman diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating symmetry factors for feynman diagrams in a quantum field theory class. The speaker provides answers for six diagrams and points out potential mistakes in their calculations. The conversation also touches on the concept of overcounting and the possibility of a symmetry factor being 1.
Jessica_S
Hello

I have to calculate symmetry factors for the following feynman diagrams for my qft class, and would be hugely grateful if anyone could point out any mistakes (I'm sure there are lots!) that I've made.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessicagreerstanley/Physics#5259179071440262450"

And here are my answers:

(a) Symmetry factor, S = 2^3 = 8. Interchange of 2 pairs of equivalent lines and swapping the ends of the bubble line

(b) S = 2^7 = 128. Swapping 5 pairs of equivalent lines, 2 pairs of equivalent vertices.

(c) S = 2 x 4! = 48. Swapping the two vertices, and interchanging the 4 internal lines.

(d) S = 2^4 = 16. Swapping the two internal lines, interchanging the ends of the two bubbles, interchanging the two vertices.

(e) S = 2^3 = 8. Swapping the two vertices attached to the external lines, interchanging the ends of the bubble, swapping the lines on the top of the bigger loop.

(f) This one has me very confused...

(g) S = 2^6 = 64. Exchanging 4 pairs of equivalent lines, swapping one pair of equivalent vertices, interchanging the ends of the bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're overcounting in several cases. Swapping external lines does not count (think of them as being labeled). Similarly, swapping vertices that have external lines attached does not count. Also, sometimes a vertex swap is equivalent to a line swap, and so does not count twice.

And sometimes the symmetry factor is 1 ...

Cool thank you - that answers a few things I was wondering about.

Related to Symmetry factors for Feynman diagrams

1. What are symmetry factors for Feynman diagrams?

Symmetry factors for Feynman diagrams are numerical factors that are used to account for the multiple ways in which a particular diagram can be drawn. These factors ensure that the calculations of the amplitude of a process are not double-counted or undercounted due to different ways of representing the same physical event.

2. How do symmetry factors affect the calculation of amplitudes in Feynman diagrams?

Symmetry factors are essential in accurately calculating amplitudes in Feynman diagrams. They help to account for the different ways in which particles can interact and ensure that the final result is a true representation of the physical process being studied.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating symmetry factors in Feynman diagrams?

The mathematical formula for calculating symmetry factors in Feynman diagrams involves summing over all possible ways of connecting external lines and taking into account the number of identical particles in the process. It can be a complex and time-consuming calculation, but it is crucial for accurate results.

4. Are symmetry factors the same for all Feynman diagrams?

No, symmetry factors can vary for different Feynman diagrams depending on the specific process being studied. This is because different processes involve different numbers and types of particles, and therefore, the number of ways to connect the lines can differ.

5. How do symmetry factors contribute to our understanding of particle interactions?

By accurately accounting for the various ways particles can interact, symmetry factors help to improve our understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. They also play a crucial role in verifying the predictions of theoretical models and experimental data.