Weigh something with multiple scales

• Thread starter nutso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of weighing a standard wooden pallet using four bathroom scales at the four corners. The maximum weight of the pallet with boxes is 750lbs and the maximum measurable weight of the scales is 300lbs. It is assumed that the weight of the boxes and pallet is evenly distributed. The suggested method is to add the weights measured on each scale to get the total weight of the pallet. Proper positioning and distribution of weight on the scales is important for accurate measurement.
nutso
First off I'm not in school and therefore my question isn't for homework. This is more of a question as to whether something is possible based on physics. However, I think the course-work section is the best spot for this.

Homework Statement

Is it possible to weigh a standard wooden pallet 40inX48in using 4 bathroom scales at the 4 corners?

Givens:
Max weight of pallet with boxes: 750lbs
Max measurable weight of bathroom scales: 300lbs

Assumptions:
Weight of boxes on pallet is evenly distributed
Weight of pallet with boxes is evenly distributed across the 4 scales

1. Is this even possible or will the scales simply be crushed?
2. If it is possible, and I gather 4 weights, from the 4 scales, at 4 corners, do I add the weights together or average them? Or is the calculation more complicated than this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Regards
-nutso

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, borrow your neighbour's scales, get into your bathroom and stand one foot on each pair of scales. Physics is about experiments!

The total force downwards (the weight of the pallet), must be reacted by a total and equal opposite reaction force (from the scales).

if you spread the weight exactly evenly over the four scales, you would measure the total mass of the pallet over all the scales. In other words, you would have to add the masses that you read on the scales to get the total mass.

you'll have to:
position the scales very well on a flat surface
lower the pallet onto all four evenly and at the same time
make sure the gauge part is sticking out so that you can read the measurements :wink:

Take some photos and let us know how it goes.

Related to Weigh something with multiple scales

What are the best practices for weighing something with multiple scales?

The best practice for weighing something with multiple scales is to always start with the smallest scale and work your way up to the largest scale. This will ensure the most accurate measurement and minimize the risk of errors.

What should I do if the readings from the different scales do not match?

If the readings from the different scales do not match, it is important to calibrate the scales before use. This involves zeroing out each scale to ensure accurate readings. If the scales still do not match, it is possible that one of the scales is faulty and may need to be replaced.

How do I convert the weights from different scales into a single unit?

To convert the weights from different scales into a single unit, you will need to know the conversion factor between the units used by each scale. Once you have this information, you can multiply the weight from each scale by its respective conversion factor and then add the results together to get the final weight in the desired unit.

Can I weigh multiple objects at once using multiple scales?

Yes, you can weigh multiple objects at once using multiple scales. However, it is important to ensure that each object is only placed on one scale at a time and that the readings are recorded separately. Trying to weigh multiple objects on one scale can lead to inaccurate measurements.

What are some common sources of error when weighing something with multiple scales?

Some common sources of error when weighing something with multiple scales include not properly calibrating the scales, not using the same unit of measurement for each scale, and not accounting for the weight of the container or platform used to hold the object being weighed. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for each scale and to double check all measurements for accuracy.