What Happens to Block Velocities and Spring Compression in a Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a collision between two blocks, one with a mass of 13.6 kg and initial velocity of 4.7 m/s, and the other with a mass of 4.4 kg and initial velocity of -4.7 m/s. The second block has a spring attached with a force constant of 10000 N/m. At the point where the velocities of the two blocks are equal, conservation of momentum and conservation of energy can be used to find the speed of the first block and the compression of the spring.
abbie
Homework Statement
A block of mass M1 = 13.6 kg and initial velocity v0 = 4.7 m/s collides with a block of mass M2 = 4.4 kg and initial velocity of -4.7 m/s. Attached to M2 is a spring with a force constant k = 10000 N/m. At one point the velocities of block M1 and block M2 are equal. What is the speed of block M1 at that point?
What is the compression of the spring when the velocities of the blocks are equal?

Relevant equations
conservation of momentum
conservation of energy

The attempt at a solution

I figure the moment when both masses have equal velocity is when they are presses together with M1 pressing against the string. At that point both masses will act as one and have the same mechanical energy, so using conservation of energy, I get:
0.5*(M1+M2)*V^2 + 0.5*K*X^2 = 0.5*M1*V1(ini)^2 + 0.5*M2*V2(ini)^2
I get the 2 variables that I'm trying to find but I'm missing another equation.
I tried using conservation of momentum, but I'm not sure if I can, since I'm looking for the moment right after the collision and I'm not sure final velocities to put there..

Any help would be good. I would prefer to figure it out by myself, but a little push in the right direction would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just figured it out and feeling a little idiotic for not doing it sooner, so thanks anyway :)

Your approach using conservation of energy is a good start. However, you are correct in needing another equation to solve for the two unknowns, the speed of block M1 and the compression of the spring.

To find this additional equation, you can use conservation of momentum. Before the collision, we know that the total momentum of the system is zero, since the two blocks are moving in opposite directions with equal but opposite velocities. After the collision, the blocks will stick together and move with a common velocity. This means that the total momentum after the collision is the sum of the two masses multiplied by their common velocity.

So, using conservation of momentum, we can set up the equation:
M1*V1(ini) + M2*V2(ini) = (M1+M2)*V
Solving for V, we get:
V = (M1*V1(ini) + M2*V2(ini))/(M1+M2)

Now, we can substitute this value of V into your equation for conservation of energy to solve for the compression of the spring.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work in solving this problem.

Related to What Happens to Block Velocities and Spring Compression in a Collision?

What is "Two Masses and Spring"?

"Two Masses and Spring" is a simple physical system that consists of two masses connected by a spring. The system is often used as a model to study the behavior of oscillatory systems.

What is the equation of motion for "Two Masses and Spring"?

The equation of motion for "Two Masses and Spring" is given by: m₁x₁'' + k(x₁ - x₂) = 0 m₂x₂'' + k(x₂ - x₁) = 0 where m₁ and m₂ are the masses, k is the spring constant, and x₁ and x₂ are the displacements of the masses from their equilibrium positions.

What are the important parameters in "Two Masses and Spring"?

The important parameters in "Two Masses and Spring" are the masses of the two masses, the spring constant, and the initial conditions (initial displacements and velocities of the masses). These parameters determine the behavior of the system and can be varied to study different scenarios.

What are the types of oscillations that can occur in "Two Masses and Spring"?

There are two types of oscillations that can occur in "Two Masses and Spring": in-phase and out-of-phase. In in-phase oscillations, the two masses move in the same direction at the same time. In out-of-phase oscillations, the two masses move in opposite directions at the same time. The type of oscillation depends on the initial conditions and the parameters of the system.

How does the spring constant affect the motion of "Two Masses and Spring"?

The spring constant affects the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations in "Two Masses and Spring". A higher spring constant results in a higher frequency and smaller amplitude of oscillation, while a lower spring constant results in a lower frequency and larger amplitude of oscillation. The spring constant also affects the energy of the system, with a higher spring constant resulting in a higher energy system.