Register to reply

Matrix multiplication: Communicative property.

Share this thread:
m26k9
Jan23-09, 12:25 AM
P: 9
Hello,

First time poster.
I have got a question about commutative property of matrix multiplication.
Literature says that matrix multiplication is communicative only when the two matrices are diagonal.

But, I have a situation with an 'Unitary' matrix. Actually it is the DFT matrix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discret...he_unitary_DFT. And I multiply with a 'vector'.

It seems that communicative property holds in this case. But I want to know what is the theoretical explanation, or the property as to why communicative property holds in this case.

Thank you very much.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
wsalem
Jan23-09, 04:20 AM
P: 56
Literature says that matrix multiplication is communicative only when the two matrices are diagonal.
You certainly misread that, because it is not true that the diagonal matrix is the [b]only[/tex] type of matrices that are commutative, surely many matrices are not commutative, but some are.
Take for example the set of 2x2 matrices of the form
[tex]\begin{array}{cc}
a & b \\
-b & a
\end{array}
[/tex]
Tac-Tics
Jan23-09, 08:44 AM
P: 810
Another silly counter-example:

Matrices of the form:

[tex]\begin{array}{cc}
a & 0 \\
0 & 0
\end{array}[/tex]

hokie1
Jan23-09, 08:53 AM
P: 42
Matrix multiplication: Communicative property.

The silly counter-example is a diagonal matrix in which one of the entries on the diagonal happens to be 0.

A clarification might be useful here. You have a matrix that is multiplied by a vector? That might be an (m x m) matrix multiplied by an (m x 1) vector. You can't multiply an (m x 1) with an (m x m).
Tac-Tics
Jan23-09, 09:14 AM
P: 810
Quote Quote by hokie1 View Post
The silly counter-example is a diagonal matrix in which one of the entries on the diagonal happens to be 0.

A clarification might be useful here. You have a matrix that is multiplied by a vector? That might be an (m x m) matrix multiplied by an (m x 1) vector. You can't multiply an (m x 1) with an (m x m).
Heh, oops. The silly example is for some reason I was using an alternative definition for "diagonal" X-D
hokie1
Jan23-09, 09:25 AM
Thats OK. Usually I'm the one saying oops.
m26k9
Jan23-09, 11:45 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

I am multiplying a (1xM) vector with the (MxM) unitary matrix.
For the few random matrices I tried, it seems to be commutative. Atleast for the DFT matrix (Vandermond) I tried.
I want to know if there is any property talking about this scenario.

Thank you very much.
Peeter
Jan23-09, 02:07 PM
P: 295
Quote Quote by m26k9 View Post
For the few random matrices I tried, it seems to be commutative.
Can your matrixes be diagonalized with the same similarity transformation?

[tex]
\begin{align*}
U_1 &= V D_1 V^* \\
U_2 &= V D_2 V^*
\end{align*}
[/tex]

EDIT: fixed wrong lingo in question.
D H
Jan23-09, 02:58 PM
Mentor
P: 15,167
Quote Quote by m26k9 View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

I am multiplying a (1xM) vector with the (MxM) unitary matrix.
For the few random matrices I tried, it seems to be commutative.
You are using the term "commutative" incorrectly here. Given an operator * and operands a and b, a and b commute if a*b=b*a. If a is 1xM and b is MxM, the product a*b exists (and is 1xM) but b*a exists only if M=1. In other words, there is no way a 1xM and a MxM matrix can commute unless M=1 (i.e., if a and b are scalars).
hokie1
Jan23-09, 08:59 PM
That's what I was getting at. That's why I was mentioning the dimensions of the matrices. Too often software packages bend the rules and treat vectors as both (1 x m) and (m x 1) matrices to fit the math. In that case a symmetric (m x m) matrix allows the operation to be commutative, i.e. A[i,j] = A[j,i].
m26k9
Jan24-09, 02:18 AM
Sorry guys.

Yes, if I am using say A is a (1xM) vector, it cannot be commutative.
My mistake. Actually I am AxB and BxA', conjugate of A.
So this is not commutation anymore?
If this is the case, that means matrix multiplication properties cannot be applied, unless I put my vector entries inside a diagonal of a matrix?

Thanks lot guys.

Register to reply