Register to reply

Hyperbolic geometry

by kexue
Tags: geometry, hyperbolic
Share this thread:
kexue
Jan26-09, 09:36 AM
P: 196
I like to learn some basic hyperbolic geometry!

Starting with the hyperbolic plane, the upper half plane with the hyperbolic lines being all half-lines perpendicular to the x-axis, together with all semi-circles with center on the x-axis.

Why and how are there always infinitely many hyperbolic lines parallel to a given hyperbolic line L and passing through a given point p not lying on L?

Does parallel in hyperbolic geometry just mean two lines do not cut each other?

Second problem.

My book says the boundary of the hyperbolic plane can be thought of as real line [tex]\cup[/tex] infinity, which is supposed to be a circle. I can't see this to be a circle. What does the author mean?

thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
NoMoreExams
Jan26-09, 02:14 PM
P: 626
Have you read this at all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_geometry?
wofsy
Feb4-09, 07:21 PM
P: 707
Quote Quote by kexue View Post

Starting with the hyperbolic plane, the upper half plane with the hyperbolic lines being all half-lines perpendicular to the x-axis, together with all semi-circles with center on the x-axis.

Why and how are there always infinitely many hyperbolic lines parallel to a given hyperbolic line L and passing through a given point p not lying on L?

Second problem.

My book says the boundary of the hyperbolic plane can be thought of as real line [tex]\cup[/tex] infinity, which is supposed to be a circle. I can't see this to be a circle. What does the author mean?

thank you
In my opinion hyperbolic geometry is best studied at first on the unit disc where classical Moebuis tranformations of the complex plane that preserve the disc are isometries. It is immediate from this way of looking at it that there are infinitely many parallels to a line through any point.

For the upper half plane, it is good to map it onto the disc conformally and take the induced metric.

wofsy
Feb4-09, 07:28 PM
P: 707
Hyperbolic geometry

Quote Quote by kexue View Post

Second problem.

thank you
On the unit disc the boudary is the unti circle, no problem here. This circle is mapped to the real line plus the point at infinity on the Riemann sphere by a conformal mapping of the unit disc onto the upper half plane. I urge you to learn it this way.

Register to reply