Cross between helicoid, complex plane wave

In summary: E,p_1,p_2,p_3) and x = (t,x_1,x_2,x_3).In summary, the function described in the conversation is a mathematical expression that combines elements of a helicoid and a complex plane wave. It involves taking a complex scalar plane wave and cutting it along an infinite half-plane defined by an infinite line and a ray. The two surfaces are then shifted in time and glued back together, creating two "sheets." The expression for this function can be written as Ψ = exp(-i[p⋅x]) in cylindrical polar coordinates, where p is the energy-momentum 4-vector and x is the spacetime 4-vector. This expression simpl
Spinnor
Gold Member
Function kind of cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave?

I would like to translate a mental picture into a mathematical expression if possible. The picture might be roughly thought of as a cross between a complex plane wave and a helicoid. A construction I think goes as follows, take some complex scalar plane wave in 4 dimensional spacetime Ψ = exp(-i[p⋅x]) where p is the energy-momentum 4-vector for a massless and spinless particle and x is the spacetime 4-vector. Consider an infinite line, L, parallel to the 3-momentum vector together with the time axis. Consider the infinite half-plane, S, defined by those two lines where the "edge" of the half-plane is the line L.

Edit, sorry for my mistake but the half plane I'm thinking of is defined by the line L above and a ray that starts at a point on L and is perpendicular to L in space and is not the time axis.

2nd Edit, seems I cut some of the origional, sorry.

Let this half-plane S define a cutting of our function Ψ, called Ψ_cut. Now deform Ψ_cut as follows, shift one surface defined by this cutting forwards in time by 1/2 period and shift the other surface backwards in time by 1/2 period. Now glue the surfaces back together and allow the Ψ to "relax" (minimize curvature in some unique way?).

Was my description clear enough so that Ψ might now be given as a mathematical expression and be defined almost everywhere?

Suggestions on how to come up with the expression would be appreciated.

Now I would like to do the same thing again by shifting the two surfaces defined by this cutting forwards and backwards in time by 1/2 period but then wrap the surfaces around the line L till they meet and glue the surfaces back together and again (if done properly I think we create two "sheets"?). Now allow the Ψ to "relax".

Have I given a construction that could be expressed mathematically?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that the expression I am looking for should reduce to Ψ = exp(-i[p⋅x]) for points very far from line L?

So to simplify things let momentum be in the +z direction and let the line L above be the z axis. Let the positive x-axis be the ray perpendicular to line L. Our cut plane now is defined by the positive x-axis and the whole z axis. Now I guess we would want to use cylindrical polar coordinates?

Ψ(r,θ,z,t) = exp(-i[Et-pz+θ]) for the first case and Ψ(r,θ,z,t) = exp(-i[Et-pz+θ/2]) for the second case?

What does it mean to exponentiate a 4-vector? Are you using quaternions? (Likewise, what is the 'i" in that expression?)

zinq said:
What does it mean to exponentiate a 4-vector? Are you using quaternions? (Likewise, what is the 'i" in that expression?)

All very simple. The phase is just the Lorentz invariant product of two four-vectors which is just a number.

p⋅x = Et - p_1 x_1 - p_2 x_2 - p_3 x_3

1. What is a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave?

A cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave is a mathematical construct that combines properties of both a helicoid, which is a three-dimensional curved surface, and a complex plane wave, which is a type of electromagnetic wave. This cross is often used in physics and engineering to model and study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different contexts.

2. How is a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave created?

A cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave is created by taking the equation of a helicoid and multiplying it by the equation of a complex plane wave. This results in a new equation that combines the properties of both shapes, resulting in a twisted, curved surface with repeating patterns of electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the applications of a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave?

A cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave has a variety of applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in materials with helical structures, such as DNA. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze antennas and other devices that utilize electromagnetic waves. It also has applications in optics, acoustics, and other areas of science and technology.

4. Are there any real-life examples of a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave?

Yes, there are real-life examples of a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave. One example is the spiral antenna, which is used in radio and communication systems. The shape of the antenna is a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave, allowing it to efficiently transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. Another example is the twisted nematic liquid crystal display (TN-LCD) used in flat-screen TVs and monitors, which utilizes the properties of a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave to control the polarization of light.

5. Is a cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave a physical or mathematical concept?

A cross between a helicoid and a complex plane wave is both a physical and mathematical concept. It is a mathematical construct that is used to model and study the behavior of electromagnetic waves, but it also has real-life applications and can be physically created and observed. It is often used as a tool in physics and engineering to understand and manipulate the properties of electromagnetic waves in different contexts.