Solving System of Equations: Partial Fraction Decomposition Help

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of equations problem for a Partial Fraction Decomposition problem. The equations given are 1 = -4 + 2B + 2C + D + E, 3 = 4 - 2B + 2C - D + E, 3 = -25 + 20B + 10C + 4D + 2E, and 5 = 25 - 20B + 10C - 4D + 2E. The person has tried substitution and elimination but is unsure of how to solve it graphically. However, there seems to be an error in the equations provided.
khatche4
Hello. I'm trying to solve a system of equations problem (for my Partial Fraction Decomposition problem)...

1 = -4 + 2B + 2C + D + E
3 = 4 - 2B + 2C - D + E
3 = -25 + 20B + 10C + 4D + 2E
5 = 25 - 20B + 10C - 4D + 2E

So that boils down to..

1 = 2C + E
3 = 2C + E
3 = 10C + 2E
5 = 10C + 2E
right??

I tried substitution, but that didn't work. Elimination doesn't work, either... So what else? I'm pretty sure you can do it graphically, but I can't remember...

Help, please! I'm doing this last minute (I know I shouldn't be, but I desperately need help!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something is not right here.

if you multiply your first equation by 5, you get: 5 = 10C + 5E

but your last equation is: 5 = 10C + 2E

So which is it? I think you may have made a mistake somewhere coming up with these equations.

What was the original "partial fractions" problem?

FAQ: Solving System of Equations: Partial Fraction Decomposition Help

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that have a common set of variables. The goal in solving a system of equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do I solve a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The method used will depend on the type of equations in the system and personal preference.

3. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This will depend on the nature of the equations and the number of variables in the system.

4. What is the importance of solving a system of equations?

Solving a system of equations is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows for the determination of unknown variables and the understanding of relationships between different quantities.

5. What are some real-world applications of systems of equations?

Systems of equations can be used to model and solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the optimal combination of ingredients in a recipe, determining the break-even point for a business, and predicting the population growth of a species.