Linear system of equations: Echelon form/Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations and whether it is in echelon form, how to solve it, and whether the missing variable "b" is important. The conversation concludes that it does not matter what the variables are called and the solution set would be the same regardless. The system is in row echelon form, but not reduced row echelon form. Some textbooks require the leading coefficients to be 1 even in regular row echelon form.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

I am looking at the following exercise but I think that I miss something.

The statement is the following:

We are given the following system of equations: \begin{align*}2a-2c+d-2e=&-2 \\ -2c-2d+2e=&\ \ \ \ \ 3 \\ d+2e=&-2\end{align*}

1) Is the system in echelon form? Justify.
2) Solve the linear system of equations over $\mathbb{R}$.
3) How many solutions has the system?
The system in matrix form is: \begin{equation*}\begin{pmatrix}\left.\begin{matrix}2 & -2 & 1 & -2 \\ 0 & -2 & -2 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 2\end{matrix}\right|\begin{matrix}-2 \\ 3\\ -2\end{matrix}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
So the system is in echelon form, or not?

Isn't it trivial? Or do I miss something?

Does maybe the fact that the variable $b$ is missing important here?

:unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

It looks like an introductory exercise for using echelon forms to solve a system of equations.
First it checks whether the word 'echelon' is understood, and then it asks to apply the corresponding method.
In other words, I don't think you're missing anything. 🤔

It doesn't matter at all what you call the letters representing the unknown numbers!

So, no, it doesn't matter that there is no "b". If the equations were
2a−2b+c−2d=-2
−2b−2c+2d= 3
c+2d=−2
The solution set would be exactly the same!

Personally, I would not bother writing the equations in matrix form.
The last equation, c+ 2d= -2 says that c= -2d- 2.
Then -2b- 2c+ d= 3 becomes -2b= 2c- d+ 3= -2d- 2- d+ 3= -3d+ 1 and then b= (3/2)d- 1/2.
And 2a- 2b+ c- 2d= -2 becomes 2a= 2b- c+ 2d- 2= 3d- 1+ 2d+ 2- 2d= 3d- 3 so
a= (3/2)d- 3/2.

Or, using the labels "a", "c", "d", and "e", as originally, and writing the solution in terms of parametera "t" (you have 4 unknowns with only three equations so the "degrees of freedom" is 4- 3= 1 and there is one parameter.)
a= (3/2)t- 3/2
c= (3/2)t- 3/2
d= - 2t- 2
e= t.

The system is in row echelon form, but not in reduced row echelon form. In fact, some textbooks, (for example, Nicholson, W. Keith. Linear Algebra with Applications. 2019) require that the leading coefficients are 1 even in regular row echelon form.

1. What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is a set of two or more equations that involve the same variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

2. What is the echelon form of a linear system of equations?

The echelon form of a linear system of equations is a way of organizing the equations so that the variables are arranged in a specific order and each equation has a leading variable. This form makes it easier to solve the system using elimination or substitution.

3. How do I convert a linear system of equations into echelon form?

To convert a linear system of equations into echelon form, you can use the elimination method or the substitution method. The goal is to get the equations in a form where the variables are in a specific order and each equation has a leading variable.

4. What does it mean to have a solution to a linear system of equations?

A solution to a linear system of equations is a set of values for the variables that make all of the equations true. This means that when you substitute these values into each equation, the equations will be satisfied.

5. Can a linear system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have more than one solution. This is known as an infinite number of solutions. This happens when the equations are dependent on each other, meaning that one equation can be obtained by multiplying or adding a constant to another equation.