orthonormal tetrad/frame name question

by quasar_4
Tags: orthonormal, tetrad or frame
quasar_4 is offline
Feb27-09, 04:53 PM
P: 290
This is just a "lingo" question, and maybe it belongs in a relativity/field theory thread instead of here, but does anyone know: is the term "orthonormal tetrad" referring to the same object as an "orthonormal frame"?

The tetrad bit is throwing me off, but I'm pretty sure they're the same. Anyone know?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
shoehorn is offline
Feb27-09, 06:39 PM
P: 448
Yes, although it's technically incorrect to apply the term "tetrad" in any situation other than with four dimensions, 'tetr-' being the Greek root for "four."

Register to reply

Related Discussions
orthonormal vector question.. Calculus & Beyond Homework 1
complete to orthonormal basis question.. Calculus & Beyond Homework 5
Why use the tetrad formalism? Special & General Relativity 10
a question about orthgonal/orthonormal basis Calculus & Beyond Homework 2
Tetrad GR and the equivalence principle General Physics 2