Inertial Frame of Ref & Forces: Understand Special Relativity

In summary, the principle of relativity says that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames.
Lisastronomy
TL;DR Summary
Imagine you would know all forces in the universe acting upon an object, doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference (imagining that eventually the velocity would be constant)? And is that why the speed of light is the same for all observers?
In trying to understand a bit of special relativity, I want to make sure if I understand it correctly, and I came up with the following question: "Imagine you would know all forces in the universe acting upon an object, doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference (imagining that eventually the velocity would be constant and with real is meant; not dependent on another observer)? And is that why the speed of light is the same for all observers?"

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Why would knowing the forces have anything to do with a reference frame? That's little more than a choice of what "at rest" means and a clock synchronisation procedure.

Ibix said:
No. Why would knowing the forces have anything to do with a reference frame? That's little more than a choice of what "at rest" means and a clock synchronisation procedure.
Knowing all the forces, would in the end tell you who is really moving, as it seems to me.

Lisastronomy said:
Summary:: Imagine you would know all forces in the universe acting upon an object, doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference (imagining that eventually the velocity would be constant)? And is that why the speed of light is the same for all observers?

doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference
No. It defines a class of frames where the acceleration of the object is given by ##\Sigma \vec F = m \vec a## but places no constraints on the initial velocity of the object.

Lisastronomy said:
Knowing all the forces, would in the end tell you who is really moving, as it seems to me.
Why? Zero force just means you aren't accelerating, not that you aren't moving.

That there is no such thing as "really" moving is, in fact, one way of reading the principle of relativity, which is one of the postulates of relativity.

Likes cianfa72 and Dale
Lisastronomy said:
What if two objects have zero force acting on them, but they are in relative motion?

The principle of relativity says that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames. It's not about "who is really moving".

Likes cianfa72
Lisastronomy said:
Summary:: Imagine you would know all forces in the universe acting upon an object, doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference (imagining that eventually the velocity would be constant)? And is that why the speed of light is the same for all observers?

"Imagine you would know all forces in the universe acting upon an object, doesn't that give away the only real existing frame of reference (imagining that eventually the velocity would be constant and with real is meant; not dependent on another observer)? And is that why the speed of light is the same for all observers?"
I think that my body, your body, the Earth, the Sun or everything in the Universe get forces from all the others in the Universe. Then much varieties of motions and frame of reference attached to them take place, e.g. you and I are stack on the Earth, the Earth revolves around the Sun, the solar system revolves in our galaxy, etc. So I am afraid whether what you say about special reference frame really works. Am I taking you wrong ?

Hello, thank you for all your answers! I understand it better now and I was clearly wrong in my assumptions, so thank you for correcting me!

Likes vanhees71, PeterDonis and Dale

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system in which the laws of physics hold true and objects at rest remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does special relativity relate to the concept of inertial frames?

Special relativity is based on the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. This means that the laws of physics hold true in all inertial frames, regardless of their relative motion.

3. Can an object be in multiple inertial frames at the same time?

No, an object can only be in one inertial frame at a time. However, an observer in one inertial frame can observe an object in another inertial frame and make measurements based on their relative motion.

4. How do forces behave in an inertial frame of reference?

In an inertial frame, forces are responsible for changing the motion of an object. Objects at rest or in uniform motion will remain in that state unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as Newton's first law of motion.

5. Are there any exceptions to the laws of physics in an inertial frame of reference?

No, the laws of physics hold true in all inertial frames of reference. However, they may appear to behave differently depending on the relative motion of the observer and the object being observed, as explained by special relativity.