Calculating size of electric motor needed

by Kalus
Tags: electric, motor, size
Kalus
Mar2-09, 07:07 AM
P: 37
I'm a little confused as how to calculate the power of motor you would need in a certain scenario.

Imagine you have an electric motor sitting upright (so spindle pointing towards the sky) with a metal disc attached to the spindle. Now imagine that you have some metal rod that is being pressed down on the disc exerting a frictional force at a distance from the center of r/2 (where r is radius).

I know the equation that power= torque*angular velocity... but im unsure what to include as torque.

Obviously the frictional force(F_f) exerts a "stopping" torque of F_f * r/2 but would you also need to calculate the torque to get the disc spinning on its own, E.g Torque= I*angular acceleration?

If so, how do you calculate angular acceleration?

Also, if you came up with a resistive torque of X, then would the torque of the motor need to be X+1 or whatever to get the thing to actually spin up?

Many thanks, Kalus
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Gordianus
Mar2-09, 07:45 AM
P: 217
Few electric motors provide a constant torque, but let's say you have one of those and its useful torque is T. The difference T-F_f*r/2 is the net torque which is equal to the product I*gama, where I is the total moment of inertia and gama the angular acceleration.
Therefore, as long as you don't mind about acceleration time, you need a motor whose torque is barely higher than the resisting torque.
Kalus
Mar2-09, 11:20 AM
P: 37
Ok, im still a little confused about the torque needed to make the disc start though.

If consider having no normal force on the disc for a moment, what would the torque required be to start the disc in motion?
Would it be Torque= Moment of Inertia* Angular Acceleration?

Does that mean that then when you include normal force, that to get it moving, at the start it would be Torque to start motion > Torque to overcome inertia + Torque to overcome normal friction force?

Many Thanks, Andy

wywong
Mar3-09, 05:20 AM
P: 107

Calculating size of electric motor needed

You don't need to consider inertia unless you need to reach a certain speed within a certain time. As long as the torque exceeds the friction, the motor will start to turn and build up speed gradually.

Register to reply