Calculating Motor Load Capacity for a 4kg Vehicle

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power needed for a motor to pull a 4kg maximum load for an engineering project. The motor in question is a yellow DC motor with a gear ratio of 1:48 and a maximum torque of 800g/cm at 3V. The specifications also include an operating voltage range of 3V-12VDC and a load current of 70mA (250mA max at 3V). The individual is seeking help in determining if this motor is powerful enough for their project and asks for an explanation on how to calculate the mass it can hold and move. They also request for the type of DC motor and a link to its technical data. It is mentioned that the power of
nat360
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: I need help with calculating how much a motor will be able to pull.

Hi all, I am currently in my first year of engineering and we have a project which requires us to use motors to drive a 4kg max vehicle. I was planning on using the very common yellow DC motors which have arduino compatibility. However I am unsure of if it is powerful enough to pull this load. Below I have listed the specifications:
Operating Voltage
3V-12VDC

Maximum Torque
800g/cm max. @ 3V

Gear Ratio
1:48

Load Current
70mA (250mA max. @ 3V)

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain how to calculate the mass it will be able to hold and move.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please identify the type of DC motor, and provide a link to the motor technical data.

The power of the motor (less inefficiencies of the drivetrain) should be equal to the power required by your vehicle.

So you have to first identify the power requirement of your vehicle. A mass of 4 kg is not power. What are the forces acting on that 4 kg mass and at what velocity? (Power = Force X Velocity)

1. How do I calculate the motor load capacity for a 4kg vehicle?

To calculate the motor load capacity for a 4kg vehicle, you will need to consider the weight of the vehicle, the desired speed, and the efficiency of the motor. This can be done by using the formula: Motor Load Capacity = (Vehicle Weight * Desired Speed) / Motor Efficiency.

2. What is the typical efficiency of a motor?

The efficiency of a motor can vary depending on the type and size of the motor. However, for most electric motors, the efficiency ranges from 75-95%. It is important to check the specifications of the specific motor being used for a more accurate efficiency value.

3. Can I use the same motor load capacity for different vehicle weights?

No, the motor load capacity will vary depending on the weight of the vehicle. A heavier vehicle will require a higher motor load capacity to achieve the same speed as a lighter vehicle. It is important to recalculate the motor load capacity for each vehicle weight.

4. How does the terrain affect the motor load capacity?

The terrain can have a significant impact on the motor load capacity. If the vehicle is traveling on a flat, smooth surface, the motor load capacity may be lower compared to traveling on a rough or uphill terrain. This is because the motor will need to work harder to overcome any obstacles or inclines, requiring a higher load capacity.

5. Is there a maximum motor load capacity for a 4kg vehicle?

There is no specific maximum motor load capacity for a 4kg vehicle. It will depend on the type and size of the motor being used. However, it is important to ensure that the motor load capacity is not exceeded as it can lead to motor failure or damage. It is recommended to consult the motor's specifications and choose a load capacity within its recommended range.