Register to reply

Wheelbarrow and load advantage (i think)

by armbrecht
Tags: advantage, load, wheelbarrow
Share this thread:
armbrecht
Mar11-09, 07:29 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheelbarrow is holding a mass of 15kg, 35cm from the handle. The fulcrum is located 65cm from the handle. What is the mechanical advantage at the handle?

Handle Load Fulcrum
_______________============_
____________ O (wheel)

2. Relevant equations

I believe it is (f1)x(d1)=(f2)x(d2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Therefore ...
(f1)x(65)=(15)x(30) 30 being the distance from the handle to the centre of load.
(f1)x(65)=450
f1=450 / 65
f1=6.9 kg

Is this correct? I am a complete dummy at physics :(
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
redargon
Mar11-09, 08:31 AM
P: 348
no, unfortunately you made a slight calculation error, but the rest is ok. your distance from the handle to the centre of the load is 35, not 30. Also, the term "mechanical advantage" gives me the feeling your answer should be in a ration or percentage form. ie. If I lifted the 15kg mass directly, it's mass is 15kg, if I use the wheelbarrow, it's apparent mass is 6.9kg. Therefore I have a mechanical advantage of 15/6.9=2.17 or (15-6.9)/6.9=117%

Also, the wheel of your wheelbarrow is the fulcrum and it appears to be in a strange positon on your drawing. To approach this problem more accurately, you should draw a free body diagram, state that the system is equilibrium and let the sum of moments about your fulcrum be zero. You'll end up with the same result, but it will be neater and more rigid.

Register to reply