Register to reply

Battery charging via Solar pannel

by rusty009
Tags: battery, charging, pannel, solar
Share this thread:
rusty009
May7-09, 10:51 AM
P: 70
Hey guys, I recently conducted an experiment which involved charging a battery via a PV module and also logging the I and V values to calculate conversion efficiencies. I also logged the I and V values from two other circuits with a fixed resistance. I understand that every irradiation has a Maximum Power Point (MPPT) so a fixed resistance will never draw the maximum energy yield from the PV module. But when I saw the results I saw that the power conversion for the battery was good under high and low irradiances. My question is why is this? Does a battery have some sort of control circuit to vary its resistance ? Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
mgb_phys
May7-09, 12:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
No, but depending on the battery type the terminal voltage and so the current availabel from the PV will change as it charges.

For everythign you want to know about batteries see here http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
rusty009
May8-09, 09:08 AM
P: 70
I've looked through that but I still don't understand what is actually happening.

MythUser
May8-09, 09:47 AM
P: 4
Battery charging via Solar pannel

As long as the PV output voltage is higher than the battery it will charge the battery. When the PV output drops, the battery will drain through the PV circuit. Many sailors have woken up to find drained batteries from either leaving their solar charger on at night or not installing diodes to keep the current flowing only to the battery.

Are you certain that durring the low irradiance test the battery was not what you measured for power conversion?
Bob S
May8-09, 02:32 PM
P: 4,663
Quote Quote by MythUser View Post
As long as the PV output voltage is higher than the battery it will charge the battery. When the PV output drops, the battery will drain through the PV circuit. Many sailors have woken up to find drained batteries from either leaving their solar charger on at night or not installing diodes to keep the current flowing only to the battery.
The forward voltage drop of a diode is roughly 0.6 volts, and is roughly 3 times the emitter-collector drop of a saturated PNP transistor, so using a simple regulator comprised of a simple control circuit and a PNP pass transistor on the + side of the charging voltage is better.

Register to reply