Serving in the Navy: A Fire Controlman's Story

• Thread starter KingOfChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Navy
In summary, KoC is a great place for military members to come and talk about their experiences. KoC members also have a lot of knowledge and experience in various areas of physics. KoC is a great place for anyone with a military background to come and talk about their experiences.
KingOfChaos
Any of you fellow nerds in the armed forces? I am currently serving in the U.S. Navy as a Fire Controlman...currently a 2nd class petty officer (e-5). My job is HIGHLY technical, hence why I love the electronic and mechanical engineering forums here, since my job really involves both.

My job essentially makes me a computer hardware and electronic engineer, as my main focus is reparing disrupted computer systems on board a U.S. Navy AEGIS cruiser or destroyer.

I am also a powerlifter/bodybuilder, so I have a great interest in chemistry, biology, physiology/anatomy, and pharmaceutical technology.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I'm not a military nerd...first time I've heard the term, haha. But there are active military members here, and lots of former military.

Where are you stationed, KoC?

Best place in the world, Pearl Harbor, Hi :D

Ah, aloha! That's awesome...you're so lucky :smile:.

KingOfChaos said:
Best place in the world, Pearl Harbor, Hi :D

My nephew just finished his term of service as a SONAR operator on subs; based in Hawaii.

Tough duty! Hawaii is a very special place. We may well retire there.

Ivan Seeking said:
My nephew just finished his term of service as a SONAR operator on subs; based in Hawaii.

Tough duty! Hawaii is a very special place. We may well retire there.

Was he an FT? Most of the time, Fire Control Technicians are the ones who operate and repair the sonar equipment on a submarine.

I was a military brat, and have always been around military aircraft. Now I work in aerospace with both commercial and military aircraft. I'm a bit of a military nerd myself. Weapon systems ring my bell. :)

I believe Russ is ex military, I'm thinking Navy but don't want to insult anyone if I'm wrong. ;-)

B Elliot is currently in the Navy. I haven't seen him around as uch lately. Maybe he's been sticking to the academic forums mostly.

I think if you look through the member photos thread a few people have posted some of their military pics.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I believe Russ is ex military, I'm thinking Navy but don't want to insult anyone if I'm wrong. ;-)

B Elliot is currently in the Navy. I haven't seen him around as uch lately. Maybe he's been sticking to the academic forums mostly.

I think if you look through the member photos thread a few people have posted some of their military pics.

OmCheeto is too, and yes, your're right SA, B Elliot went into the Navy I think less than a year ago. Andre is retired military (Dutch, not US).

I think people with military background are well-represented here on PF.

Of course there's always the Paramilitary PF Sisters :wink:. yeah we'll kick your @ss hahaha

I'm retired Air Force. I still work with the Air Force, but as a contractor.

KingOfChaos said:
Was he an FT? Most of the time, Fire Control Technicians are the ones who operate and repair the sonar equipment on a submarine.

I don't think so.

I do know he took second place in school, and by luck the guy in first place wanted duty close to his home, rather than Hawaii. I guess the person who places first in his class gets the duty of choice - Hawaii is normally a no-brainer. How did you happen to land in Hawaii?

Military plus nerd equals hott! :biggrin:

I just remembered that I once heard NERD originated as an acronym for Navy Enlisted Requiring Discipline.
MilitaryNerd.jpg

Welcome to Physicsforums KingOfChaos.

As everyone else said, I'm currently in the Navy as a submarine sonar tech. I'm not sure about surface fleet, but on subs maintenance and repair on equipment is generally performed by the owner (ST's maintain the sonar systems and FT's pretty much maintain the non-nuclear missile systems and the interface portion of the torpedo system). More in-depth repairs are handled by the ET's.

For years the Navy's been talking about combining the FT's and ST's into one rate, but honestly it's way too much information for one person to be able to stay on top of both. IMO if they do decide to combine the rates, it'll be a big mistake with potentially hazardous situations just waiting to happen.

Before I joined I had quite a bit of mechanical experience programming CNC machines and working on automobiles professionally and as a hobby, so I considered Machinist Mate as a possibility simply because it would be extremely easy for me to get into. Let me tell you, boy am I glad I didn't go MM. :biggrin:

I also had quite a bit of prior experience with computer and automotive electrical diagnostics/repair, so most of what I was taught in sub school was just a refresher... Already had my CISCO and A+ certs along with a few network monitoring equipment certs, various ASE automotive certs which are now probably expired, ect. I actually got to test out of 2/3rds of the course material which bumped me ahead a few weeks. The Navy apparently loves it when you're saving them money.:biggrin:

I was in the infantry for a year and a half. It was there that I developed an intense dislike for weapons, particularly rifles.
The strict discipline and mind boggling regulations were what really got to me. It's amazing how quickly rules develop until they reach a state where no-one's sure what caused them in the first place.
On the plus side, I can now fully appreciate Catch-22.

mcknia07 said:
Military plus nerd equals hott! :biggrin:

I tried really hard to come up with a rebuttal, but, in the end, I realized your statement was 100% true.

BobG said:
I tried really hard to come up with a rebuttal, but, in the end, I realized your statement was 100% true.

Excuse me while I put on my waders. :rolleyes:

1. What is a Fire Controlman in the Navy?

A Fire Controlman in the Navy is responsible for operating and maintaining the advanced computer and radar systems that control the ship's weapons systems. They work closely with the combat systems officer and other members of the ship's crew to ensure the accuracy and effectiveness of the ship's weapons.

2. What kind of training do Fire Controlmen receive?

Fire Controlmen in the Navy undergo extensive training in electronics, computer systems, and weapons systems. They also receive training in basic seamanship and shipboard operations. Additionally, they must pass a rigorous physical fitness test and meet specific security clearance requirements.

3. What are the main duties of a Fire Controlman?

The main duties of a Fire Controlman include operating and maintaining the ship's weapons systems, performing regular maintenance and repairs on computer and radar equipment, and providing accurate targeting information to the ship's weapons systems. They also assist in conducting weapons drills and training exercises.

4. What are the benefits of serving as a Fire Controlman in the Navy?

Serving as a Fire Controlman in the Navy offers a variety of benefits, including competitive pay and benefits, opportunities for career advancement, and the chance to travel and see the world. Additionally, Fire Controlmen gain valuable skills and training that can be applied to civilian careers in electronics, engineering, and computer systems.

5. How can someone become a Fire Controlman in the Navy?

To become a Fire Controlman in the Navy, one must first meet the eligibility requirements, including being a U.S. citizen, passing the physical fitness test, and obtaining a security clearance. They must then complete basic training and attend specialized training for the Fire Controlman rating. After completing training, they will be assigned to a ship or shore station to begin their duties as a Fire Controlman.