Fish maintaining position in water

In summary, to maintain its depth in fresh water, a fish adjusts the air content of its porous bone or air sacs to match the average density of the water. To reduce its density to that of water, a fish with a density of 1.08 g/cm^3 must inflate its air sacs to 0.074 of its expanded body volume.
Zorodius
A fish maintains its depth in fresh water by adjusting the air content of porous bone or air sacs to make its average density the same as that of the water. Suppose that with its air sacs collapsed, a fish has a density of 1.08 g/cm^3. To what fraction of its expanded body volume must the fish inflate the air sacs to reduce its density to that of water?

Sorry, I'm spacing out entirely on how to set up this problem. Could someone give me a push in the right direction?

It sounds like we're looking for [itex]\frac{V_A}{V_f + V_A}[/itex], where Va is the volume of the air inside the fish and Vf is the volume of the fish.

We know that the fish, once inflated, has a density of [itex]\rho_w[/itex], the density of the water, which gives us:

[tex]\frac{m_f + m_A}{V_f + V_A} = \rho_w[/tex]

Where Mf is the mass of the fish, Ma is the mass of the air, Vf is the volume of the fish, Va is the volume of the air, and pw is the density of the water.

I can only solve for [itex]\frac{V_A}{V_f + V_A}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\rho_w, \rho_f, \rho_A,[/itex] and [itex]\frac{V_f}{V_f + V_A}[/itex], which doesn't do me any good since that last thing is an unknown for which I have no helpful substitutions.

Can I get a hint on where to go with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried solving the problem this way:

Let x be the amount (between 0 and 1) of the inflated fish that is filled with air, then 1 - x is the amount of non-air fish and:

[tex]\rho_f(1-x)+\rho_A x = \rho_w[/tex]

[tex]\rho_f - \rho_f x + \rho_A x = \rho_w[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{\rho_w - \rho_f}{\rho_A - \rho_f}[/tex]

I tried evaluating this using the density of fresh water (998 kg/m^3), the density of the fish (1080 kg/m^3), and the density of air (1.21 kg/m^3), and came up with 0.076. The book's answer is 0.074. That is different enough to make me question whether I have done the problem correctly. Have I?

998kg/m^3? I always thought 1000kg/m^3. Also, on this scale, density of air is negligible. So I get 1-(1/1.08)=0.074.

Thanks for the reply!

1. How do fish maintain their position in water?

Fish maintain their position in water by using their fins and body movements. Their fins act as stabilizers, helping them to stay upright in the water. They also use their tail to propel themselves forward or backward, which helps them to maintain their position.

2. Do all fish have the same methods of maintaining their position in water?

No, different species of fish may have different methods for maintaining their position in water. Some fish, such as sharks and tuna, have a streamlined body shape and powerful muscles that allow them to swim continuously without using their fins. Other fish, like angelfish, use their pectoral fins to hover in place.

3. How do fish stay in one place without being swept away by currents?

Fish have a specialized organ called a swim bladder that helps them to control their buoyancy in the water. By adjusting the amount of gas in their swim bladder, fish can stay at a certain depth and resist being swept away by currents.

4. Can fish maintain their position in water without using their muscles?

Yes, some fish have developed unique adaptations to help them maintain their position in water without using their muscles. For example, certain species of fish have adhesive discs on their fins that allow them to attach themselves to rocks or other surfaces.

5. Do environmental factors affect a fish's ability to maintain its position in water?

Yes, environmental factors such as water temperature, salinity, and current strength can all affect a fish's ability to maintain its position in water. For example, fish may have to use more energy to maintain their position in colder water or strong currents, which can impact their overall health and survival.