Register to reply

Calculating Spring Constant - Force or Energy?

by Cintdrix
Tags: spring, spring constant
Share this thread:
Cintdrix
Nov12-09, 10:44 AM
P: 4
I've been being confused lately as to the 2 methods. The example I'm thinking of is when a weight of mass m is hung on a spring and it stretches x meters.

First of all, I know you can equate the spring force (kx) to the force of gravity (mg), to get
k = mg/x

But is it also possible to say that the gravitational potential energy lost (mgx) is equal to the energy gained by the spring (1/2 kx^2)? When I do this, I get a different k which is half the original k and probably wrong. How can you calculate K for this problem using energy?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
dsol
Nov12-09, 12:08 PM
P: 5
The first method F = mg = kx is what you would use to find the spring constant k. The second equation is used for the dynamic problem "How fast is the mass moving at distance x?". To solve, equate the potential energy "lost" by the downward motion to the potential energy of the spring AND the kinetic energy of the object: E = mgx = (1/2 kx^2) + (1/2 mv^2)

Register to reply