The Iodination of Acetone lab- Need help with determining the reaction orders

In summary, the conversation is about finding the variable "m" in the equation rate=k(acetone)m(I2)n(H+)p. The experimental data and initial concentrations for two trials are given, and the rate of reaction is calculated for each trial. The data is then plugged into the equation to solve for "m", resulting in a value of 1.26. The question is whether this number is close and if it should be rounded to 1, with a reminder that having only two data points can result in large error bars.
crabapple11
I need to find the variable m in the following equation
rate=k(acetone)m(I2)n(H+)p

Here is our expirmental data
Exp. 1
10 ml of 4 M acetone + 10 ml of 1 M HCl + 10 ml 0.005 M I2 reacted in 68 sec.
Exp. 2
20 ml of 4 M acetone + 10 ml of 1 M HCl + 10 ml 0.005 M I2 reacted in 27.6 sec.

I calculated the initial concentration of each to be
Exp. 1 (Acetone)=0.8 M (H+)=0.2M (I2)=0.001M
Exp. 1 (Acetone)=1.6 M (H+)=0.2M (I2)=0.001M
I found the rate of reaction to be
Exp. 1 = 1.47 * 10-5
Exp. 2 = 3.63 * 10-5

Then I plugged the data into the equation
rate=k(acetone)m(I2)n(H+)p
and solved for "m"
but i got 1.26

My question is whether or not this number is even close and if it is should I just round it to 1 or what is the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation looks fine. The correct answer can be found with a quick google search, but keep in mind that if you only have two data point, your error bars are likely to be huge.

1. What is the purpose of the Iodination of Acetone lab?

The purpose of this lab is to investigate the reaction between acetone and iodine in the presence of an acid catalyst. This reaction is used to determine the reaction orders and rate constant of the reaction.

2. What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include acetone, iodine, hydrochloric acid, distilled water, a spectrophotometer, cuvettes, and a stopwatch.

3. How is the reaction order of the acetone and iodine determined?

The reaction order is determined by performing the reaction at different concentrations of acetone and iodine and measuring the rate of reaction. The rate is then plotted against the concentration to determine the reaction order.

4. How does the presence of an acid catalyst affect the reaction?

An acid catalyst helps to lower the activation energy of the reaction, making it faster. It also allows for a more efficient reaction by increasing the number of collisions between the reactants.

5. What are the potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include inaccurate measurements, human error in timing the reaction, and contamination of the reactants. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accurate results.