How can I determine the order of N in this rate law lab?

In summary: So I would say that the order of the ions is 3.05. In summary, the goal of this lab is to find the value of N so that the rate law can be calculated. The value of N was found by plugging in the value of M and the average N for the trials that had the same B ion concentration.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

Hello. I need help with a lab today that involves rate laws.

The goal of this lab is to show the concentration of the reactant ions in this equation

5(HSO3) + 2(IO3) -> I2 + 5(SO4) + H2O + 3H.

We did several trials of varying amounts of the ions and calculated the rate of disappearance of the bisulfate for each trial.

nbdInpN.png

I got the rate of disappearance from taking the volume of the bisulfate and dividing it by the time it took (for the blue color to show, this is supposedly an "iodine clock", thus meaning that the bisulfate had all been used up)

Then I used this formula to calculate the order. I did this for every trial that had the same volume of bisulfate.

This one is using trials 1 and 2.
(20 mL/10 mL)^m (10 mL/10 mL)^n = (.85 mL/s /.46 mL/s)

Sorry if that's hard to read. I did that with trials 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, and 1 and 5. All the ones that had the same value in my table for the B. That may be confusing. After I did that we averaged the orders of the ones we got. My average order for "m" was 0.95.

But now I am stumped on what to do next. How do I find the value for the order of N so I can find the Rate Law? Is there a way I can find the value of N if none of them are the same for each of the experiments? I cannot seem to be able to find the N because none of the iodate initial concentrations are the same value from experiment to experiment. Some guidance on what to do next would be helpful.

Homework Equations

Rate law

Thank you all for your time, always good help here at physicsforums.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. Just plugged in value of M and did it all for the Ns, the average N came out to be about 3.05.

1. What is a rate law?

The rate law is a mathematical expression that describes how the rate of a chemical reaction depends on the concentration of reactants.

2. How is the rate law determined experimentally?

The rate law is determined by conducting a series of experiments where the initial concentrations of reactants are varied. By measuring the initial rates of the reaction and plotting them against the initial concentrations, the order of each reactant can be determined and used to write the rate law equation.

3. What is the difference between the rate constant and the rate order?

The rate constant (k) is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. The rate order, on the other hand, is the exponent of the concentration term in the rate law equation.

4. How do you determine the order of a reaction with multiple reactants?

To determine the order of a reaction with multiple reactants, the method of initial rates can be used. This involves performing experiments where the initial concentrations of one reactant are kept constant while the other reactant is varied. By comparing the initial rates, the order of each reactant can be determined and used to write the rate law equation.

5. Can the rate law change over time?

The rate law can change over time if there are any changes in the reaction conditions, such as temperature or pressure. However, for a specific set of reaction conditions, the rate law will remain constant.