PF Gold
P: 765
Willard Wigan
Mirco-sculptor
Posted on TED:
Aug 2009 19:46

TED link
Art Meets Science

Very dry funny delivery, kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby's humor.
Overcame difficult undiagnosed dyslexic childhood, discovered his ability as micro-sculptor
Even more amazing, he slows his heartbeat down and carves, arranges between beats... 1.5 seconds at a time.

In his own word's:
"It was a fantasy world I escaped to where my dyslexia didn't hold me back and my teachers couldn't criticize me. That's how my career as a micro-sculptor began."
Willard Wigan

As a teen I watched my Dad build a two piece fly rod jig from steel (60% degree V) a total of 6 pieces. Then, over a number of weeks shave, match, glue, and cure a bamboo fly rod, that was true without a twist. Quite amazing, at least for me at the time.

Not on the same level of difficulty as what Willard accomplished, but it took patience and perseverance. I never forgot the lesson.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
leroyjenkens
Dec8-09, 09:25 AM
P: 538
First time I've seen that guy was in this video a few years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYi458oI0-8

He's amazing.
I have an interest in this sort of stuff because I used to make tiny origami animals. Other kids in school learned how to make them at full size, but I kept going smaller and smaller until my fingers could no longer physically fold the paper. I had to start using my nails.

Register to reply