PF Gold
P: 765
Willard Wigan
Mirco-sculptor
Posted on TED:
Aug 2009 19:46

TED link
Art Meets Science

Very dry funny delivery, kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby's humor.
Overcame difficult undiagnosed dyslexic childhood, discovered his ability as micro-sculptor
Even more amazing, he slows his heartbeat down and carves, arranges between beats... 1.5 seconds at a time.

In his own word's:
"It was a fantasy world I escaped to where my dyslexia didn't hold me back and my teachers couldn't criticize me. That's how my career as a micro-sculptor began."
Willard Wigan

As a teen I watched my Dad build a two piece fly rod jig from steel (60% degree V) a total of 6 pieces. Then, over a number of weeks shave, match, glue, and cure a bamboo fly rod, that was true without a twist. Quite amazing, at least for me at the time.

Not on the same level of difficulty as what Willard accomplished, but it took patience and perseverance. I never forgot the lesson.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
leroyjenkens
Dec8-09, 09:25 AM
P: 539
First time I've seen that guy was in this video a few years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYi458oI0-8

He's amazing.
I have an interest in this sort of stuff because I used to make tiny origami animals. Other kids in school learned how to make them at full size, but I kept going smaller and smaller until my fingers could no longer physically fold the paper. I had to start using my nails.

Register to reply