"you're in pretty good shape" first year physics textbooks..

by emyt
Tags: physics, textbooks
emyt
Jan9-10, 01:00 AM
P: 218
Hi, I'm wondering if there were any books for which if you were able to do the problems, then you're in good shape.. For example, if you can problems from Spivak's "Calculus" book as you are in your first year, then you're in pretty good shape.

Would "Physics" 2nd / 3rd edition by Resnick (and Halliday) be something like this?Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Pinu7
Jan9-10, 10:20 PM
P: 270
Problems in General Physics-Irodov
Feldoh
Jan9-10, 10:32 PM
P: 1,345
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-M.../dp/0070350485

It's at an (slightly) advanced level, however still an introductory text.

emyt
Jan9-10, 10:57 PM
P: 218

"you're in pretty good shape" first year physics textbooks..

Quote Quote by Feldoh View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-M.../dp/0070350485

It's at an (slightly) advanced level, however still an introductory text.
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Right now I'm just working from an older edition of Resnick's Physics book (3rd edition from the 70s). I was wondering if anybody had anything to say about its difficulty level?

Also, there's only 1 copy in my library and it has been taken out.. this might be a longshot but are there any other books along the same lines as the one you just recommended?
EEWannabe
Jan10-10, 06:11 AM
P: 32
Hey there, Sorry to hijack the thread as such but I was wondering if there are given solutions to the problems in "An Introduction To Mechanics" you linked before? It's not made explicit on the amazon article.
Pinu7
Jan13-10, 08:55 PM
P: 270
An alternative to Kleppner is Gregory's Classical Mechanics who has interesting problems.

(Gregory is preferable if you already had an introductory physics course in HS(AP)/freshmen college)

Register to reply