Proof Involving Partial Derivatives Chain Rule

In summary: x2 + dz/dy * d2y/dx2 + dz/dx * d2x/dy2 + dz/dy * d2y/dy2= (dz/dx * d2x/ds2 + dz/dy * d2y/ds2) * (dx/dx)^2 + (dz/dx * d2x/dt2 + dz/dy * d2y/dt2) * (dy/dx)^2 + (dz/dx * d2x/ds2 + dz/dy * d2y/ds2) * (dx/dy)^2 + (dz/dx * d2x/dt2 + dz/dy * d2y/d
runningeagle

Homework Statement

z=f(x,y)

x=escos(t)

y=essin(t)

show d2z/dx2+d2z/dy2 = e-2s[d2z/ds2+ d2/dt2

Homework Equations

dz/dt=dz/dz(dx/dt)+(dz/dy)dy/dr

The product rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I found d2x/dt2=2e2ssin(t)cos(t)d2z/dydx + e2scos2(t)dz/dy2

But, now I'm lost. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't know where I am going to get rid of the d2z/dydx term.

Thank your for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I will try my best to help you with this problem. First, let's rewrite the given equations in terms of t, which will make it easier to work with:

x = e*cos(t)
y = e*sin(t)
z = f(e*cos(t), e*sin(t))

Now, we can take the first and second derivatives of x and y with respect to t:

dx/dt = -e*sin(t)
d2x/dt2 = -e*cos(t)
dy/dt = e*cos(t)
d2y/dt2 = -e*sin(t)

Next, we can substitute these derivatives into the given equations:

dz/dt = dz/dx * dx/dt + dz/dy * dy/dt
= f_x * (-e*sin(t)) + f_y * (e*cos(t))
= -e*sin(t)*f_x + e*cos(t)*f_y

d2z/dt2 = d2z/dx2 * (dx/dt)^2 + d2z/dy2 * (dy/dt)^2 + dz/dx * d2x/dt2 + dz/dy * d2y/dt2
= f_xx * (-e*sin(t))^2 + f_yy * (e*cos(t))^2 + f_xy * (-e*sin(t)) + f_yx * (e*cos(t))
= e^2 * (f_xx * sin^2(t) + f_yy * cos^2(t) - f_xy * sin(t) + f_yx * cos(t))

Now, we can take the second derivative of z with respect to s and t:

d2z/ds2 = d/ds (dz/ds)
= d/ds (dz/dx * dx/ds + dz/dy * dy/ds)
= dz/dx * d2x/ds2 + dz/dy * d2y/ds2

d2z/dt2 = d/dt (dz/dt)
= d/dt (dz/dx * dx/dt + dz/dy * dy/dt)
= dz/dx * d2x/dt2 + dz/dy * d2y/dt2

Substituting these expressions into the given equation, we get:

d2z/dx2 + d2z/dy2 = dz/dx * d2x/d

FAQ: Proof Involving Partial Derivatives Chain Rule

1. What is the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule in partial derivatives is a method used to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. It states that to find the derivative of a composite function, you must multiply the derivative of the outside function by the derivative of the inside function.

2. How do you use the chain rule in partial derivatives?

To use the chain rule in partial derivatives, you must first identify the outer and inner functions. Then, take the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner variable. Finally, multiply this result by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the original variable.

3. What is the difference between the chain rule in partial derivatives and the chain rule in single variable calculus?

The chain rule in partial derivatives deals with functions with multiple variables, whereas the chain rule in single variable calculus deals with functions with only one variable. In partial derivatives, the derivatives are taken with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant, whereas in single variable calculus, the derivative is taken with respect to the independent variable.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any function with multiple variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function with multiple variables. However, some functions may require the use of other rules or methods in addition to the chain rule.

5. Why is the chain rule important in partial derivatives?

The chain rule is important in partial derivatives because it allows us to find the derivatives of complex functions with multiple variables. It is a fundamental rule in calculus that is necessary for solving many real-world problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.