Lienard-Wiechert Potential derivation, chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, specifically focusing on the right side term of $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$. The person is unsure about how the chain rule is applied in this equation and mentions footnote 19 as a potential source of clarification. The conversation also includes relevant equations and a reminder about the meaning of $$t_\text{ret}$$.
Pnin
Homework Statement
I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations
chain rule
I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|

Physics news on Phys.org
Pnin said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations:: chain rule

I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|
Did you read and understand footnote 19?

1. What is the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation is a mathematical process used to calculate the electromagnetic potential at a given point in space and time, taking into account the effects of both the motion of the charged particle and the finite speed of light.

2. Why is the chain rule important in the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation?

The chain rule is important in the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation because it allows us to take into account the changing velocity and acceleration of the charged particle as it moves through space and time, which is necessary for accurately calculating the electromagnetic potential.

3. How is the Lienard-Wiechert potential derived using the chain rule?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential is derived by applying the chain rule to the electric and magnetic fields generated by a moving charged particle. This involves taking the derivative of the fields with respect to both space and time, and combining them using the chain rule to obtain the potential.

4. What are the applications of the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation has many applications in the field of electrodynamics, including calculating the radiation emitted by a moving charged particle, predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and understanding the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation?

While the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation is a powerful tool for understanding electromagnetic phenomena, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the charged particle is a point source and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it is only applicable to classical electrodynamics and does not account for relativistic effects.