Register to reply

Fermi Surface & Band Diagram Relationship?

Share this thread:
N8
Mar8-10, 07:16 AM
P: 6
Can anyone help explain how one can apply information say from an energy band diagram of an element/compound to its respective fermi surface / "sphere"?

I understand there is a direct relationship, however, I can seem to physical interpret how one is able to say look at the energy band diagram and come out with a rough representation of what the fermi surface should look like...

Are there any resources that go in depth to this?

Any help is much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Modey3
Mar8-10, 09:24 AM
P: 136
N8,

The highest occupied level (k_max) of a band-diagram corresponds to a point on the Fermi Surface. You could make a band diagram along any direction in the Brillouin Zone and the number of directions is infinite. So you could create a fermi surface if you determined k_max in all directions.

modey3
ZapperZ
Mar8-10, 01:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by N8 View Post
Can anyone help explain how one can apply information say from an energy band diagram of an element/compound to its respective fermi surface / "sphere"?

I understand there is a direct relationship, however, I can seem to physical interpret how one is able to say look at the energy band diagram and come out with a rough representation of what the fermi surface should look like...

Are there any resources that go in depth to this?

Any help is much appreciated.
Assuming that you truly mean the energy band diagram, then I'm not sure how you can. Such band diagram contains no k information, i.e. it has been integrated out.

To be able to get an idea of the actual Fermi surface, you need the full band structure, i.e. the E vs k diagram. For most real material, it can look like a "spaghetti" band structure, where various band lines are drawn along various crystallographic directions. For example, the "standard" band structure for Cu may look like this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ams751/V...s/image010.jpg

The Fermi surface will be formed by the occupied band that crosses the Fermi energy (E=0). So the k-values of the occupied band at the Fermi surface will form the Fermi surface.

Zz.

Register to reply