Beekeeping & Gravitational Winds: Examining Feral Comb Alignment

In summary, the conversation discusses the unique shape of natural bee comb, which is aerodynamically designed with a vertical leading edge and angled trailing edge. The shape may be due to a vortex or the Earth's magnetic field. The possibility of bees having a perception of something beyond human understanding and the potential connection to gyroscopes and a "gravitational wind" is also mentioned. One person suggests that the comb's shape could be influenced by the sun's rising and setting, while others discuss the role of magnetic fields and wind in the bees' orientation. The conversation also touches on the potential for the bees' mapping ability and the difficulty in categorizing this topic.
Ian Rumsey
I am a beekeeper and study feral colonies of bees.
The natural comb that they build orientates itself in an East-West alignment.
The comb is aerodynamically shaped, the leading edge is vertical facing East and the trailing edge is angled at about 45 degrees and where it joins the roof there is a small indentation which may be caused by a vortex.
Such a shape would be ideal in water at say 10mph or air at 100 mph or something less dense at 1000 mph.
Would this resistance be caused by cutting the Earth's magnetic field at right angles, or is there a force produced by rotating objects like a gravitational wind being generated as magnetic fields are produced by rotating magnets.
Bees may have an awareness of something beyond our perception.
Gyroscopes and this Wind may have some connection.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.
I have a photo of this type of comb which has been scanned so I can send it to anybody that might be interested.

Biology news on Phys.org
My initial thoughts are as yours, - magnetic fields (a lot of rocks are seen to have macroscopic east-west grain patterns in them from alignment when they cooled) and wind, - the coriolis effect may be relevant here, - I believe British prevailing winds cause many coastal plants to orientate themselves such. My only other thought would be that the effect of the sun rising in the east and setting in the west could be a factor? Would definitely like to see the photo, can you post it somewhere?

Cheers

Might another option be for the bees' mapping ability? If they need to know where to go to get to the best flowers, they'd need to orient themselves properly.

I also think this topic would be better suited to biology, so I'm going to move it there.

There is a copy of this photo on http://www.bee-l.com/biobeefiles/ian/hp.htm
The subject itself seems to cover a wide range of options and I find it difficult to find the correct slot.
Magnetic fields horizontally applied do not appear to affect the orientation, but vertical magnetic fields change the direction through 90 degrees.
Entomologists and Engineers see things differently.
I only wished for a aerodynamic engineer to comment on the shape of the comb regarding its aerodynamic properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of studying feral comb alignment in beekeeping?

The purpose of studying feral comb alignment in beekeeping is to better understand how bees interact with their environment and how they adapt to changes in gravitational winds. This research can also help beekeepers improve their techniques and management practices to create a more favorable environment for their bees.

2. How do gravitational winds affect bees and their comb alignment?

Gravitational winds can disrupt the natural alignment of bee combs, which can cause issues with honey production and bee health. Bees may also spend more energy trying to maintain comb alignment in areas with strong gravitational winds.

3. What methods are used to examine feral comb alignment in beekeeping?

Some common methods used to examine feral comb alignment in beekeeping include visual observations, measurements of comb angles, and use of specialized equipment such as accelerometers and video analysis software.

4. What factors can influence comb alignment in beekeeping?

Aside from gravitational winds, other factors that can influence comb alignment in beekeeping include temperature, humidity, and the availability of resources such as nectar and pollen. Beekeeping practices, such as hive manipulation and placement, can also play a role in comb alignment.

5. How can beekeepers use this research to improve their practices?

By understanding how gravitational winds and other factors can affect comb alignment, beekeepers can make adjustments to their management practices to create a more conducive environment for their bees. This can include proper hive placement, providing windbreaks, and implementing techniques to reduce the impact of gravitational winds on combs.