Can Fe2+ Reduce Sn2+ to Sn Metal?

In summary, the question is whether Fe2+(aq) can reduce Sn2+(aq) to Sn metal. The standard reduction potentials for these ions are -0.14 and -0.44, respectively. Since Sn has a more positive Epot, it has a greater tendency to be reduced. After adding the two potentials, we get a positive value, indicating that this reaction can occur. However, this is incorrect because Fe2+ must be oxidized to Fe3+ in order to act as a reducing agent. The correct balanced reaction equation should be written to show this.
kooombaya
Is Fe2+(aq) capable of reducing Sn2+(aq) to Sn metal?

The standard reduction potentials from my book are -0.14 for Sn2+ and -0.44 for Fe2+

Because Sn has a more positive Epot it has a greater tendency to be reduced. So add the Epot up: -0.14 + 0.44 (oxidation)= 0.3. It's positive so this reaction can occur. However my answer key says the opposite. Can someone explain please? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking at the wrong potential for iron. -0.44 means iron gets reduced to metallic Fe, you want it to be a reducing agent - that means it has to be oxidized to Fe3+.

--

Borek wrote: You are looking at the wrong potential for iron. -0.44 means iron gets reduced to metallic Fe, you want it to be a reducing agent - that means it has to be oxidized to Fe3+.

--
Yes I know. Here's the way I have it set up:
Fe --> Fe2+ + 2e Eox = 0.44V
Sn2+ + 2e --> Sn Ered = -0.14V

Adding the half reactions I get Ecell = 0.44-0.14 = 0.3 which is positive so the reaction goes. Apparently this is wrong though. I'm confused...

You know you are wrong, yet you repeat the same mistake? You have selected wrong reaction for iron. If you have a solution containing Fe2+ and Sn2+ you can't get both reduced to metal at the same time. If one gets reduced, the other has to be oxidized.

Try to write balanced reaction equation. Remember Fe2+ and Sn2+ are your rectants.

--
methods

Oh I see! Thanks so much Borek!

1. How does Fe2+ reduce Sn2+ to Sn metal?

The reduction of Sn2+ to Sn metal by Fe2+ involves a redox reaction, where Fe2+ acts as the reducing agent and Sn2+ acts as the oxidizing agent. The Fe2+ ions donate electrons to the Sn2+ ions, causing them to gain electrons and form Sn metal.

2. What are the conditions required for Fe2+ to reduce Sn2+ to Sn metal?

The reduction reaction between Fe2+ and Sn2+ requires an acidic environment and the presence of a catalyst, such as H+ ions or a suitable enzyme. The reaction also typically occurs at high temperatures and in the absence of oxygen.

3. Can other metals be reduced by Fe2+ in a similar manner?

Yes, Fe2+ can reduce many metals, including Cu2+, Ag+, and Au3+. However, the effectiveness of Fe2+ as a reducing agent depends on various factors, such as the standard electrode potential and the availability of other reducing agents in the system.

4. What is the purpose of reducing Sn2+ to Sn metal?

The reduction of Sn2+ to Sn metal is used in various industrial processes, such as the production of tin cans and tin-coated steel. It is also an important step in the extraction of tin from ores, where Sn2+ ions are reduced to Sn metal using a more reactive metal like Fe2+.

5. Is the reduction of Sn2+ to Sn metal reversible?

Yes, the reduction of Sn2+ to Sn metal is reversible under certain conditions. If the concentration of Sn2+ ions is increased or the concentration of Fe2+ ions is decreased, the reverse reaction can occur, where Sn metal is oxidized back to Sn2+ ions. This equilibrium can be shifted by changing the reaction conditions, such as the pH or temperature.