Half cell potentials

by kooombaya
Tags: chemistry, half cell potential
kooombaya
Apr8-10, 10:00 PM
P: 36
Is Fe2+(aq) capable of reducing Sn2+(aq) to Sn metal?

The standard reduction potentials from my book are -0.14 for Sn2+ and -0.44 for Fe2+

Because Sn has a more positive Epot it has a greater tendency to be reduced. So add the Epot up: -0.14 + 0.44 (oxidation)= 0.3. It's positive so this reaction can occur. However my answer key says the opposite. Can someone explain please? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Borek
Apr9-10, 02:43 AM
Admin
P: 22,703
You are looking at the wrong potential for iron. -0.44 means iron gets reduced to metallic Fe, you want it to be a reducing agent - that means it has to be oxidized to Fe3+.

--
kooombaya
Apr9-10, 12:58 PM
Borek wrote: You are looking at the wrong potential for iron. -0.44 means iron gets reduced to metallic Fe, you want it to be a reducing agent - that means it has to be oxidized to Fe3+.

--
Yes I know. Here's the way I have it set up:
Fe --> Fe2+ + 2e Eox = 0.44V
Sn2+ + 2e --> Sn Ered = -0.14V

Adding the half reactions I get Ecell = 0.44-0.14 = 0.3 which is positive so the reaction goes. Apparently this is wrong though. I'm confused...

Borek
Apr9-10, 02:39 PM
Admin
P: 22,703

Half cell potentials

You know you are wrong, yet you repeat the same mistake? You have selected wrong reaction for iron. If you have a solution containing Fe2+ and Sn2+ you can't get both reduced to metal at the same time. If one gets reduced, the other has to be oxidized.

Try to write balanced reaction equation. Remember Fe2+ and Sn2+ are your rectants.

--
methods
kooombaya
Apr9-10, 04:42 PM
Oh I see!! Thanks so much Borek!

Register to reply