Quantum Computation: extracting information from entangled state

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches for extracting the value of f(\hat{x}) from a given state |v>. These include using quantum state tomography, quantum phase estimation, and quantum amplitude estimation. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the best approach will depend on the specific circumstances and resources available.
AVMB
Hello,

I have a state of two registers (A and B) which is in the following form respect to the computational basis:

[tex]|v> = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1} |k>_A |f(k)>_B[/tex]

I don't know how to prepare this state, it is externally given. I would like to extract the value of [tex]f(\hat{x})[/tex] for some known [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] .

An obvious solution is to measure both registers respect the computational basis and check whether result obtained from A is [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] . This would succed with probability 1/N .

I thought of using some form of Grover-like amplitude amplification to increase the success probability, but since I don't have access to an operator which produces |v> , I can't costruct the appropriate reflection operators.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. It seems like you are trying to extract the value of f(\hat{x}) from a state that is externally given to you. In this situation, there are a few different approaches you could take. One option is to use quantum state tomography to reconstruct the state |v> and then measure it in the computational basis to obtain the value of f(\hat{x}). This method may be more time consuming and resource intensive, but it would give you the exact value of f(\hat{x}).

Another approach is to use a quantum algorithm called quantum phase estimation (QPE). This algorithm can be used to estimate the eigenvalues of a unitary operator, which in your case would be the operator that produces |v>. By estimating the eigenvalues, you can then infer the value of f(\hat{x}). However, QPE requires knowledge of the operator, so it may not be applicable in your situation.

If you are limited in terms of available operators, another option is to use a quantum algorithm called quantum amplitude estimation (QAE). This algorithm can estimate the amplitudes of a superposition state, which in your case would be the amplitudes of |v>. By estimating the amplitudes, you can then infer the value of f(\hat{x}). QAE does not require knowledge of the operator, but it does require a quantum circuit that prepares the state |v>.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can assist you in any other way. Good luck with your research!

1. What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a field of study that combines principles from quantum mechanics and computer science to develop methods for performing computations using quantum systems.

2. How does quantum computation differ from classical computation?

Quantum computation differs from classical computation in several ways. Classical computation uses classical bits, which can only have a value of 0 or 1, while quantum computation uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in a superposition of 0 and 1. Additionally, quantum computation allows for entanglement, which is the ability for two or more qubits to be correlated and share information.

3. What is entanglement in quantum computation?

Entanglement in quantum computation is a phenomenon in which two or more qubits become correlated and share information, even when separated by large distances. This allows for faster computation and information processing compared to classical methods.

4. How does quantum computation extract information from an entangled state?

In quantum computation, information is extracted from an entangled state through a process called measurement. This involves performing a measurement on one or more qubits in the entangled state, which collapses the superposition and reveals the value of the qubits. The correlated state of the qubits allows for the extraction of information from the entire entangled system.

5. What are the potential applications of quantum computation using entangled states?

Quantum computation using entangled states has the potential to revolutionize many fields, including cryptography, simulation of quantum systems, and optimization problems. It could also lead to advancements in artificial intelligence, drug discovery, and financial modeling.