Resolving Latex Bug on Forum with Flush Technique

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter WildEnergy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, A latex bug has been identified on the forum where old and stale latex renders are being used inappropriately. The workaround for this is to enter a lot of tex sections to flush out the stale images, or to use the shortcut "ctrl + f5" to force a reload from the origin. This workaround works on all browsers and can be found under keyboard shortcuts. It is suggested that the web master add a cachebuster to the preview image URLs to prevent this issue from occurring.
WildEnergy
trying to flush out latex bug on the forum

[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{dog}[/tex]

[edit] ok that worked // there is a bug in the latex preview // it caches old, stale latex renders and reuses them inappropriately // to fix just enter lots of tex sections to flush out the stale images // and don't use latex + preview

Physics news on Phys.org

Easier to clear cache or reload images. (I forget if that still works)

oh yes - they aren't using cachebusters on the image urls

super quick workaround = ctrl + f5 (force reload from origin)

WildEnergy said:
oh yes - they aren't using cachebusters on the image urls

super quick workaround = ctrl + f5 (force reload from origin)
I was unaware of that workaround, is it a Mac or a Windows trick? Is it browser-specific?

I see no reason to delete this thread, if it contains potentially useful advice like this.

AFAIK all browsers have this feature - what key binding they use I don't know

CTRL-F5 works on IE and FF for Windows

http://support.mozilla.com/en-us/kb/keyboard+shortcuts

this option alters the HTTP request to force intermediate caching proxies to pass on the request (including browsers local cache)

the web master should alter the preview image URLs by adding a cachebuster:
Code:
latex_images/preview221794-0.png?buster=489579834

What is "Latex preview"?

Latex preview is a feature that allows users to see a real-time preview of their Latex code as they type. This is particularly useful for quickly checking the formatting and appearance of mathematical equations and scientific notations.

How do I access the Latex preview feature?

The Latex preview feature is typically available in scientific writing software or text editors that support Latex formatting. Some popular options include Overleaf, Texmaker, and Lyx. Each software may have a different method for accessing the preview feature, so it is best to consult the user guide or documentation for specific instructions.

Can I customize the Latex preview settings?

Yes, most Latex preview features allow users to customize the appearance of the preview, such as the font size, color, and background. Some also allow users to choose the output format, such as PDF or HTML. Check the settings or preferences menu of your specific software to see what options are available.

Is Latex preview necessary for writing scientific documents?

No, Latex preview is not necessary for writing scientific documents, but it can be a useful tool for quickly checking the formatting and catching any errors as you type. It can also save time in the editing process, as you can see how the equations will look in the final document without having to compile it every time.

Are there any limitations to the Latex preview feature?

Yes, the Latex preview may not be able to render complex or advanced Latex code accurately. It is always recommended to compile and preview the final document before submitting or publishing it. Additionally, some software may have a limited preview window, so equations or expressions that are too long or wide may not be fully displayed.