Speed of Sound Calculations. Confused.

by Astonix
Tags: calculations, confused, sound, speed
Share this thread:
Astonix
Sep12-10, 03:48 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have to prove the speed of sound using a ultra-sound emitter, connected to EasySense software which records the speed for it to travel to surface and back. Known data - Speed of sound is 337 metres a second at 20 degrees celcius. Also, the distance covered is, 3.4m or 6.8m there and back. The time is 0.010837 micro seconds. Micro-seconds are 1 x 10^-6. All answers must be given with a +- .

2. Relevant equations

Speed = Distance / Time

3. The attempt at a solution

Time: 10897 +- 14 (microsecs)
Dist: 6.8 +- 0.014 (metres)

Convert microseconds into seconds. 10897 / 1000 and then /1000 again.
= 0.010897 seconds

Speed = 6.8 / 0.010897 = 624.024961 metres per second.

Obviously, this is nearly double the actual speed of sound. Was I not meant to double the distance? But I'm pretty sure the time is for there and back so double distance was needed. Have I forgotten anything? Of course, there is a chance the Ultrasound was reflecting from a place not wanted, causing the distance to not be true.

Help much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
AC130Nav
Sep13-10, 03:10 PM
P: 153
Quote Quote by Astonix View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have to prove the speed of sound using a ultra-sound emitter, connected to EasySense software which records the speed for it to travel to surface and back. Known data - Speed of sound is 337 metres a second at 20 degrees celcius. Also, the distance covered is, 3.4m or 6.8m there and back. The time is 0.010837 micro seconds. Micro-seconds are 1 x 10^-6. All answers must be given with a +- .

2. Relevant equations

Speed = Distance / Time

3. The attempt at a solution

Time: 10897 +- 14 (microsecs)
Dist: 6.8 +- 0.014 (metres)

Convert microseconds into seconds. 10897 / 1000 and then /1000 again.
= 0.010897 seconds

Speed = 6.8 / 0.010897 = 624.024961 metres per second.

Obviously, this is nearly double the actual speed of sound. Was I not meant to double the distance? But I'm pretty sure the time is for there and back so double distance was needed. Have I forgotten anything? Of course, there is a chance the Ultrasound was reflecting from a place not wanted, causing the distance to not be true.

Help much appreciated.
You have very different times in 1 and 3 above. Could you also have misunderstood the distance?

Register to reply