Integrating over a Manifold

by JG89
Tags: integrating, manifold
Share this thread:
JG89
Oct17-10, 09:39 AM
P: 726
First let me write out the definition of a manifold given in my book:

Let [tex] k > 0 [/tex]. A k-manifold in [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex] of class [tex] C^r [/tex] is a subspace [tex] M [/tex] of [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex] having the following property: For each [tex] p \in M [/tex], there is an open set [tex] V \subset M [/tex] containing [tex] p [/tex], a set [tex] U [/tex] that is open in either [tex] \mathbb{R}^k [/tex] or [tex] \mathbb{H}^k [/tex] (upper half space), and a continuous bijection [tex] \alpha : U \rightarrow V [/tex] such that 1) [tex] \alpha [/tex] is of class [tex] C^r [/tex], 2) [tex] \alpha^{-1} : V \rightarrow U [/tex] is continuous, 3) [tex] D\alpha(x) [/tex] has rank k for each [tex] x \in U [/tex]. The map [tex] \alpha [/tex] is called a coordinate patch on [tex] M [/tex] about [tex] p [/tex].

In my text I am reading the chapter on integrating a scalar map over a compact manifold. My question is this: Suppose M is a compact-manifold. As a subset of [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex] it is bounded. So instead of going through all the mess of defining a manifold and defining the integral of a continuous function f over a manifold, why not just integrate f over M as one usually would? Using Riemann sums in [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex]?

Surely this would give the same result as integrating f over M using the definition of integral over a manifold. So what's so special about using a manifold M for integration when we could just consider M as a regular bounded subset of Euclidean space and integrate it how we usually would?

In case you're wondering, here is the definition of the integral of a scalar map over a compact manifold M:

Let M be a compact k-manifold in [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex], of class [tex] C^r [/tex]. Let [tex] f: M \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] be a continuous function. Suppose that [tex] \alpha_i: A_i \rightarrow M_i [/tex], for i = 1, ..., N, is a coordinate patch on M, such that [tex] A_i [/tex] is open in [tex] \mathbb{R}^k [/tex] and M is the disjoint union of the open sets [tex] M_1, M_2, ..., M_N [/tex] of M and a set K of measure zero in M. Then [tex] \int_M f dV = \sum_{i = 1}^N \int_{A_i} f(\alpha_i) V(D \alpha_i) [/tex].

Note that [tex] dV [/tex] represents the integral with respect to volume and [tex] V(D \alpha_i) = \sqrt{det[(D\alpha_i)^{tr} D\alpha_i]} [/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
JG89
Oct18-10, 08:26 PM
P: 726
Bump...

Register to reply