Choosing Between Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Degrees

In summary: AE classes were a great way to get a better understanding of how the different parts of the engineering process work together.In summary, it really depends on the individual and what they want to do with their degree. If you are an ME and want to get into AE for graduate work or as a career, it is a good idea to take aerospace courses as an undergrad.
Sniperman724
Would it be better to get a BAS in Mechanical Engineering then go for my masters in Aerospace Engineering? or just stay specific in the field of aerospace throughout college?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. Getting a BME might make it more difficult to get into a graduate program in AE (but perhaps not), but will give you more options if you decide AE isn't right for you.

It really depends on the BME curriculum/concentration as well as what the graduate program is looking for/willing to accept.

In general, ME and AE degrees are nearly interchangeable for most purposes, especially graduate school. The two are rooted in identical physical principles. Only the examples are different (and thus the courses differ only slightly).

I was an ME undergrad and then am working on my PhD in AE.

Current Aero-Mech dual here. If I could do it all over, I'd drop the mech part and just go Aero. Why? So that I could take more Aero (and by association math) undergrad classes. I'm not a big fan of the mechanical aspect, don't know if I want to do grad school anymore, and would rather take classes like Comp Flow, Turbulent Flow, FEA, Fluid Mech, CFD etc. etc. than more classes designing bearings/bolts/screws.

I have pinpointed that this is due to preferring "ideas" and gaining theoretical understanding rather than algebraic design parameters. (ie. I'd rather learn about the material science aspect of designing a bolt than just applying a "trust me, this is how you do it," approach.

Your ME department is kind of crappy if that is the way they do it, or you just aren't approaching it right. I was an ME undergrad and even in the classes where they did stuff like designing gears, they still gave you the reason why you were doing it that way. My only problem was that I didn't care and would rather be doing fluids or heat transfer.

What about getting a ME degree with a concentration in AE, would that make any difference? or not really

Well I suppose it depends. Usually, having a concentration on your transcript isn't worth that much, it is the classes you take to get that concentration. If you are an ME and want to get into AE for graduate work or as a career, it certainly would help to tailor your electives towards whichever area of AE you want to pursue, regardless of whether you formally add a "concentration" or not.

I did my undergrad in Mech and am currently doing graduate school in AE. I did not have any formal concentration in AE as an undergrad but I did take several aerospace electives (my school did not have an AE department) and all of my research experience was related to aerospace engineering.

1. What is the main difference between mechanical and aerospace engineering degrees?

The main difference between mechanical and aerospace engineering degrees is the focus of study. Mechanical engineering primarily deals with the design, analysis, and development of mechanical systems, while aerospace engineering focuses on the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. Which degree offers better job opportunities?

Both mechanical and aerospace engineering degrees offer excellent job opportunities. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. Mechanical engineers can work in a wide range of industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and energy, while aerospace engineers can work in the aerospace and defense industries.

3. Is it possible to switch between mechanical and aerospace engineering during my studies?

It is possible to switch between mechanical and aerospace engineering during your studies, but it may require additional coursework and may extend your graduation timeline. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making the switch.

4. What skills are required for a successful career in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in mechanical or aerospace engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. Additionally, knowledge in computer-aided design (CAD) and programming can be beneficial.

5. Are there any specific courses that I should take to prepare for a degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

While specific courses may vary between universities, some recommended courses for preparing for a degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering include physics, calculus, and computer science. It is also beneficial to take courses in design, mechanics, and materials science to gain a better understanding of the field.