Atwood Machine Tensional Value Problem HELP

In summary: The strings are also not massless. In summary, this conversation is about an Atwood machine with a pulley, where T1, T2, and T3 are the tensions in the strings and M1, M2, and Mp are the masses involved. The tension and gravitational acceleration are represented by Tn and g, respectively. The conversation discusses the relationship between the tensions and masses, as well as the acceleration of the masses. The conclusion is that in this dynamic situation, the tensions are lower than needed to retain stasis and the acceleration of m1 is less than that of M2.
naganalf
1. A pulley with mass Mp and a radius Rp is attached to the ceiling, in a gravity field of 9.81 m/s^2 and rotates with no friction about its pivot. Mass M2 is larger than mass m1. The quantities Tn and g are magnitudes.

A) T3 is ... T1 + T2
B) T1 is ... m1g.
C) The C.M. of Mp+m1+M2 does not accelerate.
D) T3 is ... m1g + M2g + Mpg.
E) T2 is ... T1
F) The magnitude of the acceleration of m1 is ... that of M2.

I have not included a diagram, but this seems to be a standard Atwood machine. First of all, using Fnet = ma, for each mass, I found that:

T2 = M2g - M2a,
T1 = m1a + m1g
T3 (the tensional force holding the pulley to the ceiling) = M2g + m1g + Mpg

Using this knowledge, I determined that:

A) T3 > T1 + T2
B) T1 > m1g
C) True (because the pulley itself is not accelerating)
D) T3 = m1g + M2g + Mpg (I have a feeling this might be where I went wrong)
E) T2 > T1 (I wasn't sure about this one either, chose it because M2 is greater)
F) The magnitude of the acceleration of m1 is = that of M2

This is my last question of an assignment due in only two hours, and I'm completely stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT*** figured it out - C is false and D is <
sorry

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is D "<"? I also expected them to be equal.

SLesh said:
Why is D "<"? I also expected them to be equal.
< is correct. This is a dynamic situation, so the tensions are lower than needed to retain stasis.

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or pulley system. It is commonly used to study the principles of mechanics and to calculate the tension in the string.

2. How is the tension in an Atwood machine calculated?

The tension in an Atwood machine can be calculated using the equation T = (m2 - m1)g, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the tensional value problem in an Atwood machine?

The tensional value problem in an Atwood machine refers to the calculation of the tension in the string that connects the two masses. It is a commonly encountered problem in physics and requires knowledge of the masses and acceleration of the system.

4. How does the tension change in an Atwood machine as the masses move?

The tension in an Atwood machine remains constant as long as the masses are moving at a constant speed. However, if one mass is accelerating faster than the other, the tension in the string will change accordingly.

5. What factors can affect the tension in an Atwood machine?

The tension in an Atwood machine is affected by the masses of the objects, the acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting on the system. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in altering the tension.