Using a pendulum to determine g using T = 2π√(l/g)

• Thread starter TaraMarshall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses using a pendulum to determine the value of g and comparing it to the general equation for a straight line, y=mx. The comparison is made through the concept of Hooke's law, which states that small oscillations obey a linear relationship between force and displacement.
TaraMarshall
I can do the solution, I do not understand the theory!
Here it is:

Using a pendulum to determine g using T = 2π√(l/g)
(that little n looking thing is pi)
(given l and T)

So, then we get
T^2 = (4π^2/g) x l

This is where I get lost.
Supposedly, I am to make the equation T^2 = kl (where k is the group of constants)
Then, I am to compare this formula with the general equation for a straight line y=kx.
Thus, k = m (of a graph, where vertical T^2 and horizontal l is the axis)

Why/how does k = m ?
k being (4π^2/g)
and m being the gradient of my graph?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
y = force
x = displacement from center

Comparison of straight line to Hooke's law

y=mx -----> F=-kx

This is because small oscillations about a point obey Hooke's law, which is a linear relationship

Related to Using a pendulum to determine g using T = 2π√(l/g)

1. How does a pendulum help determine the value of g?

A pendulum is a simple, oscillating system that follows the laws of physics. By measuring the time it takes for a pendulum to complete one full swing (known as the period) and the length of the pendulum, the value of g can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g). This is based on the relationship between the period of a pendulum and the force of gravity.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of using a pendulum to determine g?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of using a pendulum to determine g. These include air resistance, the amplitude of the swing, and the precision of the measurements. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible in order to obtain an accurate value for g.

3. Can a pendulum be used to determine g on any planet?

Yes, the formula T = 2π√(l/g) can be used to determine g on any planet. However, the value of g will be different on different planets due to variations in their mass and size. This means that the length of the pendulum will also need to be adjusted accordingly.

4. Is using a pendulum to determine g an accurate method?

Yes, using a pendulum to determine g is a relatively accurate method. However, as mentioned earlier, there are factors that can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the value of g can vary slightly depending on the location and elevation on Earth, so it may not be perfectly accurate in all cases.

5. What are some practical applications of using a pendulum to determine g?

Knowing the value of g is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and geology. By accurately determining g, we can better understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, such as bridges, skyscrapers, and earthquakes. It is also used in the development and testing of new technologies, such as aircraft and spacecraft.