Help with Trig function Periods

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the fundamental period of slightly more complex trigonometric functions and the need to understand this before moving on to Fourier Expansions. The person is able to find the period of simpler functions but struggles with raising trig functions to a power or adding them with different natural frequencies. They mention trying to use double and half angle formulas and addition formulas to reduce the functions to a workable form, but have not been successful. They ask for help or resources in understanding how to solve these types of problems. However, after posting their initial message, they were able to solve the problems themselves.
Steveh15
Hello!

I'm having some trouble with finding the fundamental period of the slightly more complex trig functions. I think it's pretty simple stuff but I can't seem to crack it and I really need to get this bit sorted before I can move on with Fourier Expansions.

I can do the more simple stuff, like finding the period of Asin(wx) and ASin(wx) + BCos(wx).

The ones I can't do are things like when the trig functions are raised to a power or when two are added together which have different natural frequencies.

The specific ones in my problem sheet are.

3Cos3x + 2Cos2x
Cos2x
sin2x

My attempt at an answer? Not far really. I've been messing around with the double and half angle formulaes as well as addition formulaes trying to reduce them to a form I can work with but I'm not getting far.

If someone could explain how these are meant to be done or point me in the direction of some resources that would be great. My textbooks have let me down on this one and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks a lot
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just solved all of these oddly enough. The moment I hit post I had a brainwave and got it. Thanks very much for any help that might have arrived though :).

What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most common trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

What is the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the smallest positive value of x for which the function repeats itself. For example, the period of the sine function is 2π, which means that the graph of sine will repeat itself every 2π units.

How do you find the period of a trigonometric function?

To find the period of a trigonometric function, you need to divide 2π by the coefficient of the independent variable. For example, if the function is y = 3sin(2x), the period would be 2π/2 = π. If there is no coefficient, then the period is simply 2π.

How does the period affect the graph of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function determines the length of one complete cycle of the graph. A smaller period means the graph will be more compressed and have more cycles within a given interval, while a larger period will result in a less compressed graph with fewer cycles.

What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a trigonometric function?

The frequency of a trigonometric function is the reciprocal of the period, meaning that frequency = 1/period. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.