Trig Help: Solve Y=2sec(3x-pi)

In summary, SammyS found the y-intercept, found where cos(θ) = 1, and found where cos(3x-π) = -1 and equal to zero.
nando94
I have these practice trig problems for a test. I understand the simple graphs but its these more complicated ones.

y=2sec(3x-pi)

my approach:

I first find the period and phase shift. Since the period of a normal secant function which is 2pi. Then the period of this one is 2pi/3. The phase shift is pi/3. There is going to a be a vertical strech of 2.

After that I am stuck because I don't know how to exactly graph this even though I have all the information. Its mostly because of the odd period, 2pi/3. Really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
nando94 said:
I have these practice trig problems for a test. I understand the simple graphs but it's these more complicated ones.

y=2sec(3x-pi)

my approach:

I first find the period and phase shift. Since the period of a normal secant function which is 2pi. Then the period of this one is 2pi/3. The phase shift is pi/3. There is going to a be a vertical stretch of 2.

After that I am stuck because I don't know how to exactly graph this even though I have all the information. Its mostly because of the odd period, 2pi/3. Really confused.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather plot cosine rather than secant.

In addition to the information you have deduced, which all looks good, I like to look at the y-intercept, and find some points where the cosine is 1, where it's -1, and where it's zero.

For the y-intercept, set x=0 → y = cos(3(0)-π) = cos(-π) = ?

To find where cos(θ) = 1, of course an obvious place is where θ = 0, so that's 3x-π = 0. But in general cos(θ) = 1, where θ is an integer multiple of 2π. Of course you can generate these in terms of x, by using the easy case of the x which satisfies 3x-π = 0, and then using your information on period.

You can do similar for the the values of x which make cos(3x-π) equal to -1 and equal to zero. You can also generate these values from the information in the above paragraph, and then using the fact that the cosine is equal to -1 at 1/2 a period on either side of where it is +1. The zeros occur 1/4 of a period on either side of where it is +1.

Once you have cos(3x-π), then sketch sec(3x-π), then stretch that vertically to get y=2sec(3x-π).

A good way to check your graphs is this (after you've made an attempt of course!).

Thanks SammyS. I orginally planned to graph 1/cos which was the secant but it made it more confusing lol. Now I see what you mean by graph cos first.

My question is that can I also apply to secant and graph sine first or cotangent and graph tangent first? I am going to have all three of those on my test as well.

nando94 said:
My question is that can I also apply to secant and graph sine first or cotangent and graph tangent first? I am going to have all three of those on my test as well.

Naturally, yes.

nando94 said:
I don't think you really want to "apply to secant and graph sine first." :wink:

lol cosecant but thanks cause now I am going to ace this test.

1. What does "sec" mean in this equation?

In trigonometry, "sec" stands for secant, which is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the hypotenuse to the adjacent side of a right triangle.

2. How do you solve this equation?

To solve the equation Y=2sec(3x-pi), you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. First, use the inverse of the secant function, which is the cosine function, to get rid of the secant. Then, use algebraic techniques to solve for the variable, x.

3. What is the role of "3x-pi" in this equation?

The expression "3x-pi" is the argument of the secant function. It tells us which angle, in radians, we are taking the secant of. In this equation, the angle is 3 times the variable, x, minus pi radians.

4. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since trigonometric functions are periodic, there are infinite values of x that satisfy the equation. However, typically we are interested in finding the smallest or most frequently occurring solution.

5. What if the equation had a different trigonometric function?

If the equation had a different trigonometric function, the solving process would be similar. You would need to use the inverse of the function to isolate the variable and then use algebraic techniques to solve for it. However, the specific steps may differ depending on the function and its properties.