Determine whether the truck will remain at rest

• Thread starter DervlaKennedy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rest Truck
In summary, the first exercise is about determining the radius of curvature of a sloped track, given the mass and speed of a car moving on it at a constant height. The second exercise involves calculating the speed of two trains after a collision, as well as the distance a truck will move up an inclined track before coming to rest, taking into account a constant friction resistance.
DervlaKennedy
hi can you help me with these two exercises please

question 1
a 1490 kg car is moving with a steady speed of 88km/h at a constant height h above the ground on a slop track with an inclination angle to the horizontal. if there is no side force on the tyres determine(a)the radius of curvature r of the track, (b) the minimum coefficient of friction vetween the tyres and the track for the car to move at the same height ut at a speed of 160km/h

question 2

a train (A) with a mass of 6500 kg is traveling at 45km/h when it strikes a second truck () which has a mass of 1800 kg and is at rest. if the coefficient of restitution for the collision is 0.69 and all resistance to motion are negligible calculate,(a) the speed of the trains A and B immediatly after the impact,(b) as a result of damage during the collision truck B has a constant friction resistance to the motion of 590 N. truck B travels along the horizontal for 8m after which the track is inclicned at a 5 degree abve the horizontal. calculate the distance the truck B will move up this incline before coming to rest. (c) determine whether the truck will remain at rest ot run down the track again.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a policy of this forum that you must show us what you have already tried yourself- even if it is only showing us that you have looked up the definitions. Show us what you have already tried and I am sure you will get a lot of assistance.

Looks like an interesting problem!

Hi

for question 2,i could do the first question (a), by using the momentum conservation and then using the formula of restitution
(Vb-Va)=e(vb-va)
but when i get to part b) i get stuck...i used formula of kinetic energy and work and did T1-U(1->2)=T3 to find x which is the distance, then for c) i can't figure it out, to find if it slips or not, wot procedure should do?

for exercise 1 I'm already stuck at (a) i can't figure it out cos i did have such an example in the textbook

thanks

take care

Let's start witht the first one. Since you did not give us a concrete value for h one can only solve for r with h as a variable.

The centripetal force will be supplied by the horizontal component of the normal force between the car and the track. The general equation for centripetal force that is needed to keep the car on a specific track equals:

Fc = (mv^2)/r

By drawing a diagram you can find the horizontal component of the normal force starting from the force of gravity on the car. This horizontal component will be equal in value to Fc

and will be a function of sin, cos, tan...whichever you find more convenient times the force of gravity which equals mg and of course h will be in there since the angle of the sin, cos, or tan depends on h.

Substitute this equation...for the horizontal component of the normal force acting on the car...for Fc

Basically set Fnx = Fc and solve for r

and there you go.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine if a truck will remain at rest?

To determine if a truck will remain at rest, we must first consider the forces acting on the truck. If the net force on the truck is zero, it will remain at rest. This can be determined using Newton's First Law of Motion.

2. What factors affect whether a truck will remain at rest or not?

The factors that affect whether a truck will remain at rest include the mass of the truck, the force applied to the truck, and the surface on which the truck is resting. Friction is also a factor that can affect whether the truck will remain at rest or not.

3. Can a truck remain at rest on an inclined surface?

Yes, a truck can remain at rest on an inclined surface if the force of gravity pulling the truck down the incline is balanced by an equal and opposite force (such as friction) keeping the truck from sliding down the incline.

4. What happens if the forces acting on a truck are unbalanced?

If the forces acting on a truck are unbalanced, the truck will not remain at rest. Instead, it will either start moving or continue moving in the direction of the net force. This is in accordance with Newton's Second Law of Motion.

5. Can a truck remain at rest if it is on an uneven surface?

It is possible for a truck to remain at rest on an uneven surface, but it depends on the distribution of weight and the forces acting on the truck. If the net force is zero and the truck is stable, it can remain at rest. However, if the net force is not zero or the truck is not stable, it will not remain at rest and may start to move.