Space Debris Removal: Where to Publish Idea?

• Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of publishing an idea about removing space debris through the use of a Space Elevator. While the idea is commended, it is deemed unlikely to be published due to various reasons such as cost and the idea being from an amateur. However, the conversation also discusses the process of publication and the use of journals in the field of astrophysics. Various journals are suggested, but it is noted that the idea may be more suited for a journal about techniques and technologies rather than pure science. The conversation also touches upon the practicality of the idea and its feasibility.
Eagle9
Good day! I hope I posted this information in the suitable thread :smile: Recently I have developed one idea regarding removing the space debris by means of Space Elevator and I would like to publish it somewhere. Could you please indicate me relevant journals about space activities that would publish the papers from amateurs?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If its from an amateur, and about a space-elevator---nothing good will publish it.

While I commend you for insight into this problem of space junk, it is highly unlikely you will find your paper published. You can of course, submit it to any space related journal, then wait for their feedback. You may have a very good idea, but the idea may have many reasons {cost for one} which would make it impossible.
Make sure to include a self addressed, stamped envelope.

An idea for how to economically build a space elevator would be more appealing than ways to use it.

hypatia
While I commend you for insight into this problem of space junk, it is highly unlikely you will find your paper published. You can of course, submit it to any space related journal, then wait for their feedback. You may have a very good idea, but the idea may have many reasons {cost for one} which would make it impossible.
Well, do you know such space related journals? I would try to submit my paper….
Make sure to include a self addressed, stamped envelope.
Will not they accept the paper via email? :rolleyes:

Chronos
An idea for how to economically build a space elevator would be more appealing than ways to use it.
Maybe :smile: but still, I need to find such journals and try, perhaps they will accept new idea, even not completely developed in technical sense…

Last edited:
Also, I think you need to understand the publication process. When some physicist has a new idea, it takes a lot of effort to get it into a form in which it is publishable. The first thing said physicist will do is to bounce the idea around his friends at lunch, and then maybe do a conference presentation.

One other thing is that referred journal articles are *terrible* forums for dealing with truly new ideas (partly because most new ideas are bad ideas), and professionals don't send their latest and greatest ideas to peer-reviewed journals. They talk about their ideas over lunch, and it's only after they get positive informal feedback that they'll try to publish.

You should also know that in astrophysics, journal articles are not the primary method of scientific communication. They are useful to make sure that stuff doesn't get lost and for score keeping, but with some uncommon exceptions (WMAP results), people don't get their information from journals.

twofish-quant
Also, I think you need to understand the publication process. When some physicist has a new idea, it takes a lot of effort to get it into a form in which it is publishable. The first thing said physicist will do is to bounce the idea around his friends at lunch, and then maybe do a conference presentation.

One other thing is that referred journal articles are *terrible* forums for dealing with truly new ideas (partly because most new ideas are bad ideas), and professionals don't send their latest and greatest ideas to peer-reviewed journals. They talk about their ideas over lunch, and it's only after they get positive informal feedback that they'll try to publish.

You should also know that in astrophysics, journal articles are not the primary method of scientific communication. They are useful to make sure that stuff doesn't get lost and for score keeping, but with some uncommon exceptions (WMAP results), people don't get their information from journals.
All there are right, but I am not Physicist and I do not have any other way but journals only :smile: actually I am not seeking the best-known journals, I would be satisfied with publishing my paper in less-known journal :smile: do you know some of them?

russ_watters
Thanks, but I need the journals about techniques/technologies and not pure science :rolleyes:

Doesn't producing a "way to use a space elevator" when we don't have space elevators seem like you're putting the cart before the horse?

Perhaps your idea is brilliant, but I don't think anyone will touch it so long as it is practically impossible.

JaredJames
Doesn't producing a "way to use a space elevator" when we don't have space elevators seem like you're putting the cart before the horse?
Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse, this happens in theory when somebody invents something new that will be used in practice in far future :smile:

Perhaps your idea is brilliant, but I don't think anyone will touch it so long as it is practically impossible.
But the Space Elevator also is impossible to build now, however many articles were written about it :rolleyes:

Eagle9 said:
Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse, this happens in theory when somebody invents something new that will be used in practice in far future

But the Space Elevator also is impossible to build now, however many articles were written about it

Assuming we ever build one - it's only feasible if that hurdle is passed.

You have to realize that, although not as extreme, it's like producing a plan for things to do once we have an FTL capable ship. People don't see it as something worthwhile and it's difficult to get traction with it.

1. What is space debris and why is it a problem?

Space debris refers to man-made objects in orbit around Earth that no longer serve a useful purpose. This includes old satellites, rocket fragments, and other debris from space missions. It is a problem because it poses a danger to functioning satellites and spacecraft, as well as the International Space Station.

2. What are some proposed solutions for removing space debris?

There are several proposed solutions for removing space debris, including using nets, harpoons, and robotic arms to capture and remove debris. Other ideas include using lasers or ion thrusters to push debris into lower orbits where it will eventually burn up in Earth's atmosphere.

3. How can I publish my idea for space debris removal?

There are several scientific journals and conferences that accept papers on space debris removal. Some examples include the Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, the International Astronautical Congress, and the Conference on Space Debris. It is important to carefully review the submission guidelines and target a journal or conference that is relevant to your idea.

4. How can I ensure my idea for space debris removal is original?

To ensure that your idea is original, it is important to conduct a thorough literature review to see if similar ideas have already been proposed. You can also consult with experts in the field to get feedback on your idea and ensure it is not already in development.

5. What are the potential challenges and limitations of space debris removal?

Some potential challenges and limitations of space debris removal include the high cost and technical complexity of developing and launching debris removal missions. There may also be legal and political barriers to removing debris from certain countries' space objects. Additionally, there is currently no international agreement on who is responsible for removing space debris, which could create issues in implementing any proposed solutions.