How did Albert know he was wearing a red hat in this brainteaser?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
In summary, Albert, Bob, Terry, Christine, and Noah each have one red hat on their heads from a pile that originally had two blue, two green, and five red hats. Despite not being able to see his own hat, Albert deduces that he has a red hat on because he can see the others' hats and realizes that collectively, they are wearing two blue and two green hats. Additionally, Bob's tendency to blab may have also given Albert a clue about his own hat color.
ƒ(x)
Five people, Albert, Bob, Terry, Christine, and Noah, each have one red hat on their heads from a pile that originally had two blue, two green, and five red hats. Each can see the others' hats but cannot see his or her own. Albert eventually deduces that he has a red hat on.

How did he know? Assume that all five people are reasonably intelligent and logical.

As long as you explain your though process and it's rational I don't see why it wouldn't be correct. So there might be more than one correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be that Albert sees that collectively Bob, Terry, Christine and Noah are wearing two blue and two green hats?

It's given that they're all wearing white.

1- He can see the pile of hats.
2- Blue hats and Green hats are funny. As nobody is laughing, he knows he's wearing a red hat.
3- They are linuxers and don't know how to apt-getting...so...
:smile:

1) Albert can see the pile of hats.
2) Bob told Albert that he's wearing a red hat, since Bob blabs a lot.
3) The group switched hats shortly after wearing them.

Albert, Bob, Terry, Christine, and Noah

Since Albert does not know his colour,he will just randomly try to assume one of them and see if it fits the conditions

So let us assume he thinks his hat to be blue
Now Albert thinks as follows:
If I was blue,and Bob thinks himself to be blue,then
(going into Bob's mind through Albert's mind,i.e. this is a cycle going on where Albert is still the main thinker and he wears Bob's shoes)...
Albert thinks that Bob will think:
-----> Since Albert is blue and I am blue too,Terry will think that:

Albert thinks that Bob will think that Terry will think:Since there are two blue hats,mine is not blue and the other too are reds,so if i was green

Albert thinks that Bob will think that Terry will think that Christine will think:Albert and Bob are blue,Terry is green and Noah is red,so if was green too:
NOAH WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT THE COLOUR OF HIS HAT
(All this while Albert is the "only" thinker)
Since Albert waits and no one is able to figure out his colour,he can prove that he is not blue or green...so he knows that he is red!

hyumanised said:
Albert, Bob, Terry, Christine, and Noah

Since Albert does not know his colour,he will just randomly try to assume one of them and see if it fits the conditions

So let us assume he thinks his hat to be blue
Now Albert thinks as follows:
If I was blue,and Bob thinks himself to be blue,then
(going into Bob's mind through Albert's mind,i.e. this is a cycle going on where Albert is still the main thinker and he wears Bob's shoes)...
Albert thinks that Bob will think:
-----> Since Albert is blue and I am blue too,Terry will think that:

Albert thinks that Bob will think that Terry will think:Since there are two blue hats,mine is not blue and the other too are reds,so if i was green

Albert thinks that Bob will think that Terry will think that Christine will think:Albert and Bob are blue,Terry is green and Noah is red,so if was green too:
NOAH WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT THE COLOUR OF HIS HAT
(All this while Albert is the "only" thinker)
Since Albert waits and no one is able to figure out his colour,he can prove that he is not blue or green...so he knows that he is red!

I guess that works

1. What is "Brainteaser 01"?

"Brainteaser 01" is a type of intellectual puzzle or problem that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve.

2. How do I solve "Brainteaser 01"?

There is no single correct way to solve "Brainteaser 01" as it can have multiple solutions. However, some general tips for solving brainteasers include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, thinking outside the box, and being persistent and creative in your approach.

3. Are there any strategies or techniques for solving "Brainteaser 01"?

Yes, some common strategies for solving brainteasers include using deductive reasoning, trial and error, and making educated guesses. It can also be helpful to approach the problem from different perspectives or to use visualization or drawing to better understand the problem.

4. What skills are needed to solve "Brainteaser 01"?

Solving "Brainteaser 01" requires a combination of critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. It also helps to have a strong understanding of logic, patterns, and mathematical concepts.

5. Why are brainteasers like "Brainteaser 01" important?

Brainteasers like "Brainteaser 01" can help improve cognitive skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making. They can also be a fun and challenging way to exercise the brain and keep the mind sharp.